Jun 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Sounds like one of the new members of Ted Nolan’s coaching staff will soon be in place.
Per the Buffalo News, longtime NHL goalie Arturs Irbe is a frontrunner to come on board. Irbe, 47, has a long history with Nolan thanks to their time together with the Latvian National team — at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Irbe served as Nolan’s assistant; the former Shark, Canuck, Star and Hurricane also has NHL goalie coach experience from a two-year stint with the Capitals.
Nolan and new GM Tim Murray cleaned the Sabres’ coaching house back in mid-April, removing goalie coach Jim Corsi and assistant coaches Jerry Forton, Teppo Numminen and Joe Sacco. Forton was a Ron Rolston hire and Sacco had ties to the former Buffalo bench boss as well, serving as an assistant with Rolston at the 2010 World Hockey Championships; Corsi was well-regarded but had been with the organization for a long time (14 seasons); Numminen was finally let go after surviving two coaching changes (he was originally hired as part of Lindy Ruff’s staff.)
As for Irbe, it remains to be seen in what capacity he’d serve the Sabres. He could replace Corsi as the club’s goalie coach — Buffalo has two relative youngsters to work with in Jhonas Enroth and Michal Neuvirth — but could come aboard as Nolan’s assistant.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 0
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)