Jun 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Sounds like one of the new members of Ted Nolan’s coaching staff will soon be in place.
Per the Buffalo News, longtime NHL goalie Arturs Irbe is a frontrunner to come on board. Irbe, 47, has a long history with Nolan thanks to their time together with the Latvian National team — at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Irbe served as Nolan’s assistant; the former Shark, Canuck, Star and Hurricane also has NHL goalie coach experience from a two-year stint with the Capitals.
Nolan and new GM Tim Murray cleaned the Sabres’ coaching house back in mid-April, removing goalie coach Jim Corsi and assistant coaches Jerry Forton, Teppo Numminen and Joe Sacco. Forton was a Ron Rolston hire and Sacco had ties to the former Buffalo bench boss as well, serving as an assistant with Rolston at the 2010 World Hockey Championships; Corsi was well-regarded but had been with the organization for a long time (14 seasons); Numminen was finally let go after surviving two coaching changes (he was originally hired as part of Lindy Ruff’s staff.)
As for Irbe, it remains to be seen in what capacity he’d serve the Sabres. He could replace Corsi as the club’s goalie coach — Buffalo has two relative youngsters to work with in Jhonas Enroth and Michal Neuvirth — but could come aboard as Nolan’s assistant.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 59
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22