Jun 26, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Stoa, 27, joined the Caps last year and appeared in three games at the NHL level, spending most of his time with AHL Hershey. He actually had a very solid season for the Bears — 16 goals and 40 points in 67 games — and his move to Russia caught Bears beat writer Tim Leone off guard:
A little surprised by Stoa’s move to KHL. Coming off last season, thought he could have still garnered an NHL deal. Surely more $ in KHL.
— Tim Leone (@timleone) June 26, 2014
A former standout at the University of Minnesota, Stoa — the 34th overall pick in 2005 — toiled in the Colorado organization for several years before leaving to join the Caps. He’s never really lived up to the promise he showed as the developmental stage; a member of the 2007 U.S. Junior team that won bronze (and featured the likes of Patrick Kane, James van Riemsdyk and Kyle Okposo), Stoa has appeared in just 37 career NHL games since making his debut in 2009-10.
Update: Stoa’s agent, Neil Sheehy, shot down the report via Twitter…
All media reports today that Hershey Bears/Washington Capitals player Ryan Stoa signed/or agreed to terms with the KHL are FALSE.
Per Penn Live, Stoa indicated the Russian report was, at the very least, extremely premature:
“I haven’t signed yet,” Stoa said. “I don’t know where it came from or what. We’re kind of looking at options, but that’s not true.”
Stoa, who has played for Hershey the past two seasons, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He said his first priority remains to try to re-sign with the Bears and Washington Capitals.
“Obviously, I want to come back to Hershey,” Stoa said.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)