Jun 26, 2014, 8:08 PM EST
After a lot of talk about moving up or down in the 2014 NHL Draft, teams sounded less optimistic about swapping picks for other selections or roster players on Thursday.
Then again, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is leaving the door open at least a little bit regarding moving the first overall pick. He’s leaving it open 30 percent, to be exact.
“It’s going to be a tough decision for us if we do take the pick,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “We’re about 70 percent we’re going to take the pick. We’ve had a few real concrete offers that are intriguing, one really intriguing one. We’re going to have a sleepless night tonight. Our staff is going to think about it, sit on it, ponder it and if we take the pick we’re excited about that as well.”
More specifically, TSN’s Insider Trading segment indicates that there’s at least one offer that Tallon is seriously considering.
Could this be that deal?
Tallon isn’t the only GM who discussed moving a top-10 pick who now seems more likely to simply making a selection.
No. 5: New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow doesn’t seem satisfied with the offers he’s seen so far.
No. 8: The Toronto Maple Leafs might stick with their pick, as well:
That said, the Maple Leafs might just take advantage of that 30-percent opening with Florida:
In other words, it sounds like there still could be significant upheaval, yet the odds of a lot of high-end picks being swapped might be lower than earlier indicated. Maybe 70 percent lower?
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (166)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)