Jun 26, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
After a lot of talk about moving up or down in the 2014 NHL Draft, teams sounded less optimistic about swapping picks for other selections or roster players on Thursday.
Then again, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is leaving the door open at least a little bit regarding moving the first overall pick. He’s leaving it open 30 percent, to be exact.
“It’s going to be a tough decision for us if we do take the pick,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “We’re about 70 percent we’re going to take the pick. We’ve had a few real concrete offers that are intriguing, one really intriguing one. We’re going to have a sleepless night tonight. Our staff is going to think about it, sit on it, ponder it and if we take the pick we’re excited about that as well.”
More specifically, TSN’s Insider Trading segment indicates that there’s at least one offer that Tallon is seriously considering.
Could this be that deal?
Tallon isn’t the only GM who discussed moving a top-10 pick who now seems more likely to simply making a selection.
No. 5: New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow doesn’t seem satisfied with the offers he’s seen so far.
No. 8: The Toronto Maple Leafs might stick with their pick, as well:
That said, the Maple Leafs might just take advantage of that 30-percent opening with Florida:
In other words, it sounds like there still could be significant upheaval, yet the odds of a lot of high-end picks being swapped might be lower than earlier indicated. Maybe 70 percent lower?
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 72
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)