Jun 26, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
After a lot of talk about moving up or down in the 2014 NHL Draft, teams sounded less optimistic about swapping picks for other selections or roster players on Thursday.
Then again, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is leaving the door open at least a little bit regarding moving the first overall pick. He’s leaving it open 30 percent, to be exact.
“It’s going to be a tough decision for us if we do take the pick,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “We’re about 70 percent we’re going to take the pick. We’ve had a few real concrete offers that are intriguing, one really intriguing one. We’re going to have a sleepless night tonight. Our staff is going to think about it, sit on it, ponder it and if we take the pick we’re excited about that as well.”
More specifically, TSN’s Insider Trading segment indicates that there’s at least one offer that Tallon is seriously considering.
Could this be that deal?
Tallon isn’t the only GM who discussed moving a top-10 pick who now seems more likely to simply making a selection.
No. 5: New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow doesn’t seem satisfied with the offers he’s seen so far.
No. 8: The Toronto Maple Leafs might stick with their pick, as well:
That said, the Maple Leafs might just take advantage of that 30-percent opening with Florida:
In other words, it sounds like there still could be significant upheaval, yet the odds of a lot of high-end picks being swapped might be lower than earlier indicated. Maybe 70 percent lower?
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)