Jun 26, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
The pair have reportedly opened negotiations by each asking for $12 million annually in salary, per TSN. While it’s expected both will come down from that number, TSN’s Bob McKenzie suggests both could still average out $10M on a yearly basis:
It’s believed Kane-Toews initial ask of CHI on extension is around $12M/yr each. They’ll end up lower but still could be $10M+ AAV players.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) June 26, 2014
The NHL’s current highest cap hit belongs to Alex Ovechkin at $9.53M, followed by Evgeni Malkin at $9.5M. As such, Kane and Toews potentially breaking the double-digit threshold is big news — lest we forget that, at the time of writing, only nine players total across the league carry a cap hit of $8 million or higher: Ovechkin, Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Corey Perry, Henrik Lundqvist, Claude Giroux, Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf and Phil Kessel.
You’ll also note that only two sets of those — Perry and Getzlaf, Crosby and Malkin — play on the same team.
‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman, who held a pre-draft conference call on Thursday, refused to comment on negotiations regarding any of his players, so reporters got little on where contract talks stand, or if McKenzie’s report was accurate.
Bowman’s silence won’t quiet the rumors surrounding his team, however. Even though agent Rick Curran angrily shot it down, a report of Chicago making Patrick Sharp available via trade gained plenty of steam this week and if this Kane/Toews report proves true, it’ll only get steamier — Sharp is on the books at $5.9 through 2017; Kane and Toews each have one year left at $6.3M and are obviously going to get more.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Sharks forward has undergone months of rehab on his surgically-repaired knee.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
“Let’s get real. Finding top-four defensemen, they’re not available,” says GM Dean Lombardi.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
And rightly so.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan, specifically.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Bojangles. That’s a funny name.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
“I would rather fight than turtle or anything like that.”
Nov 25, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
This is… surprising.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Cory Schneider to “see what kind of player he is” tonight.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Blue Jackets, Flyers, Avalanche, Stars, and Sharks all made the playoffs last season. But they’re not in position now.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
GM Dale Tallon reportedly wants to make room for some youngsters.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
For the first time since Nov. 1.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
That’s a picture of former first-rounder Alex Plante.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
Pointless in 17 games this season.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
So says Patrick Roy.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
Isles were the biggest risers.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
“Of course, I’m not too happy.”
Nov 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
“So I won’t be playing that much next game, I don’t think.”
Nov 25, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
They’re drawing just 12,404 fans per game.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)