Jun 26, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors met on Thursday, and while they discussed matters big and small, they’ll need to hear the NHLPA out before making any significant changes.
Maybe the most important – or at least most timely – issue was tweaking the draft lottery to discourage “tanking.” Here’s an explanation regarding how the league would do so, via TSN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The league has proposed smoothing or compressing the odds among the 14 non-playoff teams for the 2015 draft and then increasing the number of selections determined by the lottery in 2016.
That last part might be the most important piece of information, but teams shouldn’t go all-not-in to win Connor McDavid just yet, as it sounds like there’s a chance the changes could be implemented by 2015:
Either way, the alterations would need to pass the NHLPA’s vote, so it’s too early to get hyped up about that. Sportsnet’s Damien Cox points out some other changes that needed union approval before going through, including the curious continued fixation on spin-o-ramas in shootouts:
It sounds like several notions were approved, though:
No word on the five other minor tweaks, but we’ll pass any news along if it surfaces.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 67
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (67)