Jun 26, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors met on Thursday, and while they discussed matters big and small, they’ll need to hear the NHLPA out before making any significant changes.
Maybe the most important – or at least most timely – issue was tweaking the draft lottery to discourage “tanking.” Here’s an explanation regarding how the league would do so, via TSN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The league has proposed smoothing or compressing the odds among the 14 non-playoff teams for the 2015 draft and then increasing the number of selections determined by the lottery in 2016.
That last part might be the most important piece of information, but teams shouldn’t go all-not-in to win Connor McDavid just yet, as it sounds like there’s a chance the changes could be implemented by 2015:
Either way, the alterations would need to pass the NHLPA’s vote, so it’s too early to get hyped up about that. Sportsnet’s Damien Cox points out some other changes that needed union approval before going through, including the curious continued fixation on spin-o-ramas in shootouts:
It sounds like several notions were approved, though:
No word on the five other minor tweaks, but we’ll pass any news along if it surfaces.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)