Jun 26, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors met on Thursday, and while they discussed matters big and small, they’ll need to hear the NHLPA out before making any significant changes.
Maybe the most important – or at least most timely – issue was tweaking the draft lottery to discourage “tanking.” Here’s an explanation regarding how the league would do so, via TSN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The league has proposed smoothing or compressing the odds among the 14 non-playoff teams for the 2015 draft and then increasing the number of selections determined by the lottery in 2016.
That last part might be the most important piece of information, but teams shouldn’t go all-not-in to win Connor McDavid just yet, as it sounds like there’s a chance the changes could be implemented by 2015:
Either way, the alterations would need to pass the NHLPA’s vote, so it’s too early to get hyped up about that. Sportsnet’s Damien Cox points out some other changes that needed union approval before going through, including the curious continued fixation on spin-o-ramas in shootouts:
It sounds like several notions were approved, though:
No word on the five other minor tweaks, but we’ll pass any news along if it surfaces.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)