Jun 26, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
The NHL’s Board of Governors met on Thursday, and while they discussed matters big and small, they’ll need to hear the NHLPA out before making any significant changes.
Maybe the most important – or at least most timely – issue was tweaking the draft lottery to discourage “tanking.” Here’s an explanation regarding how the league would do so, via TSN’s Pierre LeBrun:
The league has proposed smoothing or compressing the odds among the 14 non-playoff teams for the 2015 draft and then increasing the number of selections determined by the lottery in 2016.
That last part might be the most important piece of information, but teams shouldn’t go all-not-in to win Connor McDavid just yet, as it sounds like there’s a chance the changes could be implemented by 2015:
Either way, the alterations would need to pass the NHLPA’s vote, so it’s too early to get hyped up about that. Sportsnet’s Damien Cox points out some other changes that needed union approval before going through, including the curious continued fixation on spin-o-ramas in shootouts:
It sounds like several notions were approved, though:
No word on the five other minor tweaks, but we’ll pass any news along if it surfaces.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)