Jun 26, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues signed forward Patrik Berglund to a three-year, $11.1 million contract on Thursday. (That salary, which calls for a $3.7 million cap hit, comes from multiple sources but hasn’t been confirmed by the team just yet.)
The 26-year-old forward scored 14 goals and 32 points in 78 games while failing to record a point in four postseason contests. He managed 25 points in 2012-13 despite being limited by the lockout-abbreviated 48-game slate, so some might have been a little bit disappointed by his output this past season.
(His possession stats improved a bit, if nothing else.)
Interestingly, a trade isn’t totally out of the question even after this signing, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
“Yeah, he would have a lot of interest around the league,” Blues GM Doug Armstrong said. “But he has a lot of interest with me, too.”
If this were to stand, the Blues covered quite a few of their bases already this offseason, although they have two significant restricted free agents to re-sign in forwards Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Sobotka. Cap Geek estimates St. Louis’ current cap space at about $18 million, so it’s conceivable that they can have leftover money to chase a noteworthy free agent even if they lock up those players.
They also could have some room to make a trade, if there’s a market for him.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)