Jun 26, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues signed forward Patrik Berglund to a three-year, $11.1 million contract on Thursday. (That salary, which calls for a $3.7 million cap hit, comes from multiple sources but hasn’t been confirmed by the team just yet.)
The 26-year-old forward scored 14 goals and 32 points in 78 games while failing to record a point in four postseason contests. He managed 25 points in 2012-13 despite being limited by the lockout-abbreviated 48-game slate, so some might have been a little bit disappointed by his output this past season.
(His possession stats improved a bit, if nothing else.)
Interestingly, a trade isn’t totally out of the question even after this signing, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
“Yeah, he would have a lot of interest around the league,” Blues GM Doug Armstrong said. “But he has a lot of interest with me, too.”
If this were to stand, the Blues covered quite a few of their bases already this offseason, although they have two significant restricted free agents to re-sign in forwards Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Sobotka. Cap Geek estimates St. Louis’ current cap space at about $18 million, so it’s conceivable that they can have leftover money to chase a noteworthy free agent even if they lock up those players.
They also could have some room to make a trade, if there’s a market for him.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)