Jun 25, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
For years David Legwand has been a steady, but not flashy center for the Nashville Predators. He was the first player they ever drafted (second overall in 1998), but his tenure with the team ended in March when he was shipped to a battered Detroit Red Wings squad that needed some help up the middle.
Legwand got off to a strong start with Detroit, but his brief stint with the club was a mixed bag. In the end, Legwand had 14 goals and 51 points in 83 games, which makes it the third-most productive season of his career.
He’ll turn 34 in August, but he hasn’t suffered a significant injury over the last three seasons and has been fairly reliable over that stretch. His production has also remained fairly consistent, with him recording between 40-55 points for five of his last six full campaigns. The exception was his 38-point showing in 2009-10. There will definitely be a market for him from teams seeking a second or third line center, especially given how weak this free agent crop is.
Legwand is coming off of a six-year, $27 million contract.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 10
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)