Jun 25, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
For years David Legwand has been a steady, but not flashy center for the Nashville Predators. He was the first player they ever drafted (second overall in 1998), but his tenure with the team ended in March when he was shipped to a battered Detroit Red Wings squad that needed some help up the middle.
Legwand got off to a strong start with Detroit, but his brief stint with the club was a mixed bag. In the end, Legwand had 14 goals and 51 points in 83 games, which makes it the third-most productive season of his career.
He’ll turn 34 in August, but he hasn’t suffered a significant injury over the last three seasons and has been fairly reliable over that stretch. His production has also remained fairly consistent, with him recording between 40-55 points for five of his last six full campaigns. The exception was his 38-point showing in 2009-10. There will definitely be a market for him from teams seeking a second or third line center, especially given how weak this free agent crop is.
Legwand is coming off of a six-year, $27 million contract.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)