Jun 25, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
For years David Legwand has been a steady, but not flashy center for the Nashville Predators. He was the first player they ever drafted (second overall in 1998), but his tenure with the team ended in March when he was shipped to a battered Detroit Red Wings squad that needed some help up the middle.
Legwand got off to a strong start with Detroit, but his brief stint with the club was a mixed bag. In the end, Legwand had 14 goals and 51 points in 83 games, which makes it the third-most productive season of his career.
He’ll turn 34 in August, but he hasn’t suffered a significant injury over the last three seasons and has been fairly reliable over that stretch. His production has also remained fairly consistent, with him recording between 40-55 points for five of his last six full campaigns. The exception was his 38-point showing in 2009-10. There will definitely be a market for him from teams seeking a second or third line center, especially given how weak this free agent crop is.
Legwand is coming off of a six-year, $27 million contract.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 26
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 19
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22