Jun 25, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
For years David Legwand has been a steady, but not flashy center for the Nashville Predators. He was the first player they ever drafted (second overall in 1998), but his tenure with the team ended in March when he was shipped to a battered Detroit Red Wings squad that needed some help up the middle.
Legwand got off to a strong start with Detroit, but his brief stint with the club was a mixed bag. In the end, Legwand had 14 goals and 51 points in 83 games, which makes it the third-most productive season of his career.
He’ll turn 34 in August, but he hasn’t suffered a significant injury over the last three seasons and has been fairly reliable over that stretch. His production has also remained fairly consistent, with him recording between 40-55 points for five of his last six full campaigns. The exception was his 38-point showing in 2009-10. There will definitely be a market for him from teams seeking a second or third line center, especially given how weak this free agent crop is.
Legwand is coming off of a six-year, $27 million contract.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5