Jun 25, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
For years David Legwand has been a steady, but not flashy center for the Nashville Predators. He was the first player they ever drafted (second overall in 1998), but his tenure with the team ended in March when he was shipped to a battered Detroit Red Wings squad that needed some help up the middle.
Legwand got off to a strong start with Detroit, but his brief stint with the club was a mixed bag. In the end, Legwand had 14 goals and 51 points in 83 games, which makes it the third-most productive season of his career.
He’ll turn 34 in August, but he hasn’t suffered a significant injury over the last three seasons and has been fairly reliable over that stretch. His production has also remained fairly consistent, with him recording between 40-55 points for five of his last six full campaigns. The exception was his 38-point showing in 2009-10. There will definitely be a market for him from teams seeking a second or third line center, especially given how weak this free agent crop is.
Legwand is coming off of a six-year, $27 million contract.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11