Jun 25, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny is going to test the free agent market.
In a situation that may shake out to see how the NHL’s interview period leading up to July 1 works out, Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports Stastny will explore around to see what he can earn, but hasn’t cut Joe Sakic and the Avalanche out of the process.
Stastny wants to “see what’s out there”, Sakic reports. So, we are officially entering into the period where teams are free to call Stastny and [agent Matt] Keator and put on the full-court press.
As a solid two-way center that can score, Stastny could be one of the biggest targets in free agency and could command a deal that pays as much as $6 million per season.
According to Dater, the Avs have made Stastny an offer already but would likely need to come up on it to stay in the race to re-sign him. Last season, he had 25 goals and 60 points in his eighth season in Colorado.
Stastny has never been an unrestricted free agent before and the thrill of shopping your wares around to the highest bidder could net him a monster deal. At the very least, he’s keeping Colorado apprised of whatever comes across his desk.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)