Jun 25, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny is going to test the free agent market.
In a situation that may shake out to see how the NHL’s interview period leading up to July 1 works out, Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports Stastny will explore around to see what he can earn, but hasn’t cut Joe Sakic and the Avalanche out of the process.
Stastny wants to “see what’s out there”, Sakic reports. So, we are officially entering into the period where teams are free to call Stastny and [agent Matt] Keator and put on the full-court press.
As a solid two-way center that can score, Stastny could be one of the biggest targets in free agency and could command a deal that pays as much as $6 million per season.
According to Dater, the Avs have made Stastny an offer already but would likely need to come up on it to stay in the race to re-sign him. Last season, he had 25 goals and 60 points in his eighth season in Colorado.
Stastny has never been an unrestricted free agent before and the thrill of shopping your wares around to the highest bidder could net him a monster deal. At the very least, he’s keeping Colorado apprised of whatever comes across his desk.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)