Jun 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford has found his man to lead the team.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie, the Penguins have tabbed Portland Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston to be the new coach of the Penguins. Dreger adds that they’ve signed him to a three-year contract and will be introduced at noon by the team.
Update (12:30 p.m. ET): The Penguins made it official.
After missing out on Willie Desjardins and Bill Peters, Rutherford lands Johnston who comes with a fair bit of experience although most of it of late has come at the junior level in the WHL.
Johnston has been coach of the Winterhawks for the past six seasons and has brought them to the WHL Final four times, winning once and taking them to the 2013 Memorial Cup Final where they lost to Halifax.
He does have NHL experience as an assistant coach. He spent six seasons in Vancouver as an assistant to Marc Crawford and joined Crawford’s staff in Los Angeles for two seasons. Now he’ll be coaching Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Kris Letang while they’re in the heart of their primes.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)