Jun 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
When you look at the list of potential free agents available on July 1, chances are New Jersey Devils defenseman Mark Fayne won’t be the first one you’ll think of as a difference maker. At least one team is thinking of him differently.
TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reports the Edmonton Oilers will meet with Fayne on Thursday as part of the NHL’s new interview window for potential free agents.
Fayne has spent the past four seasons in New Jersey and while his offensive numbers aren’t anything spectacular (13 goals, 48 points in 242 career games), he’s been important to the Devils when it comes to puck possession and reducing opponents chances.
As we saw from the Los Angeles Kings in the playoffs, having players that can help do that goes a long way and the Oilers’ defense has been far from good the past few seasons. Fayne may not have the marquee name, but he could go a long way towards helping Edmonton (or anyone else) in need of blue line help.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)