Jun 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
When you look at the list of potential free agents available on July 1, chances are New Jersey Devils defenseman Mark Fayne won’t be the first one you’ll think of as a difference maker. At least one team is thinking of him differently.
TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reports the Edmonton Oilers will meet with Fayne on Thursday as part of the NHL’s new interview window for potential free agents.
Fayne has spent the past four seasons in New Jersey and while his offensive numbers aren’t anything spectacular (13 goals, 48 points in 242 career games), he’s been important to the Devils when it comes to puck possession and reducing opponents chances.
As we saw from the Los Angeles Kings in the playoffs, having players that can help do that goes a long way and the Oilers’ defense has been far from good the past few seasons. Fayne may not have the marquee name, but he could go a long way towards helping Edmonton (or anyone else) in need of blue line help.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)