Jun 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
When you look at the list of potential free agents available on July 1, chances are New Jersey Devils defenseman Mark Fayne won’t be the first one you’ll think of as a difference maker. At least one team is thinking of him differently.
TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reports the Edmonton Oilers will meet with Fayne on Thursday as part of the NHL’s new interview window for potential free agents.
Fayne has spent the past four seasons in New Jersey and while his offensive numbers aren’t anything spectacular (13 goals, 48 points in 242 career games), he’s been important to the Devils when it comes to puck possession and reducing opponents chances.
As we saw from the Los Angeles Kings in the playoffs, having players that can help do that goes a long way and the Oilers’ defense has been far from good the past few seasons. Fayne may not have the marquee name, but he could go a long way towards helping Edmonton (or anyone else) in need of blue line help.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11