Jun 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
When you look at the list of potential free agents available on July 1, chances are New Jersey Devils defenseman Mark Fayne won’t be the first one you’ll think of as a difference maker. At least one team is thinking of him differently.
TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reports the Edmonton Oilers will meet with Fayne on Thursday as part of the NHL’s new interview window for potential free agents.
Fayne has spent the past four seasons in New Jersey and while his offensive numbers aren’t anything spectacular (13 goals, 48 points in 242 career games), he’s been important to the Devils when it comes to puck possession and reducing opponents chances.
As we saw from the Los Angeles Kings in the playoffs, having players that can help do that goes a long way and the Oilers’ defense has been far from good the past few seasons. Fayne may not have the marquee name, but he could go a long way towards helping Edmonton (or anyone else) in need of blue line help.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)