Jun 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs fans not exactly on board with adding an aging legend to their mix got a jolt to their systems on Wednesday, as it appears that team president and CEO Tim Leiweke had a chat with Martin Brodeur.
There’s even some photographic evidence:
Officially, Brodeur is in town for David Clarkson’s golf tournament. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports as much and adds this fact:
There isn’t even talk of terms being discussed – again, he’s in town for the golf tournament, not necessarily to negotiate with the Leafs – yet more than a few people seem, um, concerned.
For what it’s worth, there seems to be a strong chance that there’s an open spot in the goaltending mix for Toronto … although not a starting gig like Brodeur, 42, might want. Jonathan Bernier was often brilliant last season while James Reimer may very well need to find a new team as a restricted free agent who seems estranged from the franchise.
Will there be any fire to come with the smoke? Who knows, but Brodeur in Toronto could be entertaining, although many Maple Leafs fans might disagree.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)