Jun 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs fans not exactly on board with adding an aging legend to their mix got a jolt to their systems on Wednesday, as it appears that team president and CEO Tim Leiweke had a chat with Martin Brodeur.
There’s even some photographic evidence:
Officially, Brodeur is in town for David Clarkson’s golf tournament. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports as much and adds this fact:
Not saying Brodeur couldn't end up in Toronto. But he did mention 2 weeks ago being used to being in U.S. market and prefering that.—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) June 25, 2014
There isn’t even talk of terms being discussed – again, he’s in town for the golf tournament, not necessarily to negotiate with the Leafs – yet more than a few people seem, um, concerned.
For what it’s worth, there seems to be a strong chance that there’s an open spot in the goaltending mix for Toronto … although not a starting gig like Brodeur, 42, might want. Jonathan Bernier was often brilliant last season while James Reimer may very well need to find a new team as a restricted free agent who seems estranged from the franchise.
Will there be any fire to come with the smoke? Who knows, but Brodeur in Toronto could be entertaining, although many Maple Leafs fans might disagree.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)