Report: Leafs president speaks with Brodeur

Jun 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs fans not exactly on board with adding an aging legend to their mix got a jolt to their systems on Wednesday, as it appears that team president and CEO Tim Leiweke had a chat with Martin Brodeur.

There’s even some photographic evidence:

Officially, Brodeur is in town for David Clarkson’s golf tournament. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports as much and adds this fact:

There isn’t even talk of terms being discussed – again, he’s in town for the golf tournament, not necessarily to negotiate with the Leafs – yet more than a few people seem, um, concerned.

For what it’s worth, there seems to be a strong chance that there’s an open spot in the goaltending mix for Toronto … although not a starting gig like Brodeur, 42, might want. Jonathan Bernier was often brilliant last season while James Reimer may very well need to find a new team as a restricted free agent who seems estranged from the franchise.

Will there be any fire to come with the smoke? Who knows, but Brodeur in Toronto could be entertaining, although many Maple Leafs fans might disagree.

1. alliceishome - Jun 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Come on, Tim. Just no.

2. ngsm31 - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Brodeur is holding a dmn Bud Light in that picture. I hardly think they had a serious discussion.

It would seem you’re safe for now ML fans……carry on.

• quizguy66 - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Great post – surprised the Toronto media didn’t pick up on that :)

3. dueman - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:24 PM

“This is how fragile the #LeafsNation is right now – a random Martin Brodeur sighting in TO sends everyone into a state of panic.”

I love this quote from Jim Lang….Nothing like the media pretending that Leafs Nation is in a stir to sell a quote! I, for one, would have never even known that Brodeur was even at this golf tournament, until the media decided to tell all of us Leaf fans…thank God that they told me about the panic that I’m in, or I might have missed it!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Nailed it. I had to look up who Jim Lang is, saw he works for Rogers, and that was the end of that.

4. crazemastercraze - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Everything about the leafs organization. I’m so glad I stopped being a fan back in the eighties. Sheesh

5. 950003cups - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Leafs fans need not worry. Brodeur won’t tinker with their championship contending franchise.

Leafs fans should be JOing at the thought of having a goaltender who knows how to get the job done. One who could reset the defense system. One who could handle the puck like no other goaltender past and present.

We all know that history shows that Brodeur has been owned lately by Toronto. (That is obviously BS)

That 42 year old goaltender can still play at this level. If range Devils didn’t get the next big thing in Schneider, he’s still be here playing.

6. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Not many goalies still around who played at Maple Leaf Gardens.

7. tross16 - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Like I said with fayne plzzz Toronto sign him!!! If he is a devils again this year and expects to start over Schneider then he is senile. Marty is a good backup at most but the amount of pressure it would but on the starter is insane I think it’s foolish to sign him, legend or not

Top 10 NHL Player Searches