Jun 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs fans not exactly on board with adding an aging legend to their mix got a jolt to their systems on Wednesday, as it appears that team president and CEO Tim Leiweke had a chat with Martin Brodeur.
There’s even some photographic evidence:
Officially, Brodeur is in town for David Clarkson’s golf tournament. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports as much and adds this fact:
There isn’t even talk of terms being discussed – again, he’s in town for the golf tournament, not necessarily to negotiate with the Leafs – yet more than a few people seem, um, concerned.
For what it’s worth, there seems to be a strong chance that there’s an open spot in the goaltending mix for Toronto … although not a starting gig like Brodeur, 42, might want. Jonathan Bernier was often brilliant last season while James Reimer may very well need to find a new team as a restricted free agent who seems estranged from the franchise.
Will there be any fire to come with the smoke? Who knows, but Brodeur in Toronto could be entertaining, although many Maple Leafs fans might disagree.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)