Jun 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs fans not exactly on board with adding an aging legend to their mix got a jolt to their systems on Wednesday, as it appears that team president and CEO Tim Leiweke had a chat with Martin Brodeur.
There’s even some photographic evidence:
Officially, Brodeur is in town for David Clarkson’s golf tournament. The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports as much and adds this fact:
There isn’t even talk of terms being discussed – again, he’s in town for the golf tournament, not necessarily to negotiate with the Leafs – yet more than a few people seem, um, concerned.
For what it’s worth, there seems to be a strong chance that there’s an open spot in the goaltending mix for Toronto … although not a starting gig like Brodeur, 42, might want. Jonathan Bernier was often brilliant last season while James Reimer may very well need to find a new team as a restricted free agent who seems estranged from the franchise.
Will there be any fire to come with the smoke? Who knows, but Brodeur in Toronto could be entertaining, although many Maple Leafs fans might disagree.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)