Jun 25, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
Teams are now allowed to reach out to players eligible to become unrestricted free agents this summer and several clubs have exercised that option to talk to Dan Boyle. The New York Rangers and Toronto are among those franchises, with the Maple Leafs interest being termed as “serious,” according to ESPN.
“Good deal of interest, there are going to be good options for him,” Boyle’s agent George Bazos said. “We’ll sift through it the next few days and see where it all leads.”
Boyle, who will turn 38 on July 12, is looking for a two-year deal and Bazos is confident that he’ll be able to secure one for his client. The defenseman had 12 goals and 36 points in 75 games in 2013-14.
If the Maple Leafs are able to get Boyle, then that might further the discussion about using Jake Gardiner as a forward. The Rangers’ desire to get Boyle might ultimately be tied into their negotiations with pending unrestricted free agent Anton Stralman.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 2
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)