Jun 25, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Trade talks surrounding Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza have been heating up lately as four teams – three in the West, one “mystery” club in the East – have thrown their names in the hat, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
About a week ago, Senators GM Bryan Murray said there were only two serious offers, so things may very well heat up as the 2014 NHL Draft approaches.
The St. Louis Blues and Anaheim Ducks continue to be linked to Spezza. The Chicago Sun-Times brings up the possibility that the Chicago Blackhawks might be in the mix. If true, that would obviously make them the third West team involved. (Chicago would need to do some salary cap gymnastics and/or the Senators might be required to retain some salary to make a hypothetical deal work.)
The 31-year-old center can veto a trade to 10 teams. The Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers and New York Islanders are the four East teams that Spezza wouldn’t accept a trade to, according to McKenzie. There’s no word on the six teams Spezza canceled out, but considering the pedigree of the teams rumored to be interested, it would be surprising if he’d reject a move to Anaheim, Chicago or St. Louis (if those are indeed the teams).
McKenzie reports that the Senators want to get a deal done around draft time, ideally landing a first-round pick as part of a package for Spezza.
Spezza has one year left on a deal that carries a $7 million cap hit. He scored 66 points in 75 games last season, though he struggled at times, seen in simplified form in his -26 rating. (In case you’re wondering, Spezza’s possession stats weren’t awful, yet they weren’t great either in 2013-14.)
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)