Jun 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Ryan Callahan is close to re-signing with the Tampa Bay Lightning, according to a report from Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
The 29-year-old was eligible to pursue unrestricted free agency on July 1, but a source indicated that a new deal with the Lightning is “imminent.” While the precise terms of the extension weren’t immediately available, it is believed to be in excess of five years and worth as much as $5.5-million per season.
Scott Bartlett, one of Callahan’s agents, tweeted on Tuesday night that the sides had found “common ground towards a new deal.”
As per Johnston, and reports at the trade deadline, because Callahan will remain in Tampa Bay, the Rangers will now get a second-round pick back from the Lightning.
Callahan went to the Lightning at the March 5 trade deadline, in a blockbuster move that saw Martin St. Louis moved to the New York Rangers. The trade was facilitated because talks on a new deal between Callahan’s camp and the Rangers weren’t making much progress, and so the chips fell in a massive exchange of big-name players hours before the deadline.
Callahan scored six goals and 11 points in 20 regular season games with Tampa Bay, then went without a point in the playoffs, as the Lightning were swept out of the first round.
The Lightning made it clear right from about the start of April until now that they had interest in re-signing Callahan, who turned 29 years of age in March and was the subject of a PHT UFA of the Day feature earlier this month.
His play, even in a small sample, left a favorable impression on Tampa Bay’s head coach Jon Cooper: “I really, really hope Ryan considers us as a place he wants to spend the rest of his career … because as long as I’m coaching this team, I want Ryan Callahan on the bench. I don’t know how much stronger I can be about that.”
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 0
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 34
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)