Jun 25, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks might have burned Dan Boyle a bit by letting him walk to unrestricted free agency, but it’s clear he’s drawing plenty of interest as the fireworks approach (and not just from the Toronto Maple Leafs).
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that at least eight teams made their initial pitches toward the offensive defenseman. (TVA’s Renaud Lavoie places the list of interested parties at 10.)
The Detroit Red Wings can be added to the “serious” list, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. ESPN adds that the New York Rangers are “very interested,” although their situation could fluctuate depending upon negotiations with their own pending UFA Anton Stralman.
Ultimately, it might come down to which team will offer him the right two-year deal, as he told ESPN.
“It’s not to say that I can’t play any longer than that, but mentally and physically I’ve committed myself to two years. I feel great right now,” Boyle said.
“The only thing I know for sure is that I have two very good years left in me and then I can see after that.”
Boyle, 38, isn’t just mentioning that he’s feeling great because of his age. His 2013-14 season was marred by concussion issues, so teams want to hear that he’s in good health.
His agent George Brazos indicates that things might only ratchet up on Thursday, so it could be an interesting situation to watch. Well, it’s more fun to watch when someone else’s future is on the line …
“It’s definitely exciting to watch when you’re not involved. It’s definitely a different experience when you’re in the middle of it,” Boyle said.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)