Jun 25, 2014, 10:01 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks might have burned Dan Boyle a bit by letting him walk to unrestricted free agency, but it’s clear he’s drawing plenty of interest as the fireworks approach (and not just from the Toronto Maple Leafs).
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that at least eight teams made their initial pitches toward the offensive defenseman. (TVA’s Renaud Lavoie places the list of interested parties at 10.)
The Detroit Red Wings can be added to the “serious” list, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. ESPN adds that the New York Rangers are “very interested,” although their situation could fluctuate depending upon negotiations with their own pending UFA Anton Stralman.
Ultimately, it might come down to which team will offer him the right two-year deal, as he told ESPN.
“It’s not to say that I can’t play any longer than that, but mentally and physically I’ve committed myself to two years. I feel great right now,” Boyle said.
“The only thing I know for sure is that I have two very good years left in me and then I can see after that.”
Boyle, 38, isn’t just mentioning that he’s feeling great because of his age. His 2013-14 season was marred by concussion issues, so teams want to hear that he’s in good health.
His agent George Brazos indicates that things might only ratchet up on Thursday, so it could be an interesting situation to watch. Well, it’s more fun to watch when someone else’s future is on the line …
“It’s definitely exciting to watch when you’re not involved. It’s definitely a different experience when you’re in the middle of it,” Boyle said.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)