Jun 25, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks might have burned Dan Boyle a bit by letting him walk to unrestricted free agency, but it’s clear he’s drawing plenty of interest as the fireworks approach (and not just from the Toronto Maple Leafs).
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that at least eight teams made their initial pitches toward the offensive defenseman. (TVA’s Renaud Lavoie places the list of interested parties at 10.)
The Detroit Red Wings can be added to the “serious” list, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. ESPN adds that the New York Rangers are “very interested,” although their situation could fluctuate depending upon negotiations with their own pending UFA Anton Stralman.
Ultimately, it might come down to which team will offer him the right two-year deal, as he told ESPN.
“It’s not to say that I can’t play any longer than that, but mentally and physically I’ve committed myself to two years. I feel great right now,” Boyle said.
“The only thing I know for sure is that I have two very good years left in me and then I can see after that.”
Boyle, 38, isn’t just mentioning that he’s feeling great because of his age. His 2013-14 season was marred by concussion issues, so teams want to hear that he’s in good health.
His agent George Brazos indicates that things might only ratchet up on Thursday, so it could be an interesting situation to watch. Well, it’s more fun to watch when someone else’s future is on the line …
“It’s definitely exciting to watch when you’re not involved. It’s definitely a different experience when you’re in the middle of it,” Boyle said.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 26
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50