Jun 25, 2014, 10:01 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks might have burned Dan Boyle a bit by letting him walk to unrestricted free agency, but it’s clear he’s drawing plenty of interest as the fireworks approach (and not just from the Toronto Maple Leafs).
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that at least eight teams made their initial pitches toward the offensive defenseman. (TVA’s Renaud Lavoie places the list of interested parties at 10.)
The Detroit Red Wings can be added to the “serious” list, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. ESPN adds that the New York Rangers are “very interested,” although their situation could fluctuate depending upon negotiations with their own pending UFA Anton Stralman.
Ultimately, it might come down to which team will offer him the right two-year deal, as he told ESPN.
“It’s not to say that I can’t play any longer than that, but mentally and physically I’ve committed myself to two years. I feel great right now,” Boyle said.
“The only thing I know for sure is that I have two very good years left in me and then I can see after that.”
Boyle, 38, isn’t just mentioning that he’s feeling great because of his age. His 2013-14 season was marred by concussion issues, so teams want to hear that he’s in good health.
His agent George Brazos indicates that things might only ratchet up on Thursday, so it could be an interesting situation to watch. Well, it’s more fun to watch when someone else’s future is on the line …
“It’s definitely exciting to watch when you’re not involved. It’s definitely a different experience when you’re in the middle of it,” Boyle said.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)