Jun 25, 2014, 10:01 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks might have burned Dan Boyle a bit by letting him walk to unrestricted free agency, but it’s clear he’s drawing plenty of interest as the fireworks approach (and not just from the Toronto Maple Leafs).
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that at least eight teams made their initial pitches toward the offensive defenseman. (TVA’s Renaud Lavoie places the list of interested parties at 10.)
The Detroit Red Wings can be added to the “serious” list, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. ESPN adds that the New York Rangers are “very interested,” although their situation could fluctuate depending upon negotiations with their own pending UFA Anton Stralman.
Ultimately, it might come down to which team will offer him the right two-year deal, as he told ESPN.
“It’s not to say that I can’t play any longer than that, but mentally and physically I’ve committed myself to two years. I feel great right now,” Boyle said.
“The only thing I know for sure is that I have two very good years left in me and then I can see after that.”
Boyle, 38, isn’t just mentioning that he’s feeling great because of his age. His 2013-14 season was marred by concussion issues, so teams want to hear that he’s in good health.
His agent George Brazos indicates that things might only ratchet up on Thursday, so it could be an interesting situation to watch. Well, it’s more fun to watch when someone else’s future is on the line …
“It’s definitely exciting to watch when you’re not involved. It’s definitely a different experience when you’re in the middle of it,” Boyle said.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54