Jun 25, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have a new look in the front office, yet it’s possible that the franchise might continue to produce headlines with goaltending drama.
Vancouver’s News 1130 Sports reports that the team called pending UFA Ryan Miller‘s agent on Wednesday (in addition to Dave Bolland, as noted earlier). News 1130 Sports also reports that Miller wouldn’t have any issues playing in Vancouver, so there’s a chance that there can be a match.
That report was backed up by CTV’s Kelcey Brade:
Do note that this hasn’t been confirmed by the team or Miller’s agent, yet it doesn’t seem outlandish to imagine something working out between the Canucks and the 33-year-old goalie.
While Vancouver has two goalies under contract at the NHL level next season, Miller is far more experienced than either netminder. Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom have 88 career regular season games played between them while Miller has played in 559 (not to mention his playoff experience, the 2010 Olympic silver medal and a Vezina).
Lack makes $1.15 million for the next two seasons while Markstrom will be a RFA after he finishes out a deal that carries a $1.2 million cap hit in 2014-15. There’s no telling how far the Canucks and Miller even got in potential contract talks, yet at those cap hits, it wouldn’t be difficult for Vancouver to move one of Lack or Markstrom if necessary.
Again, a lot can change between today and July 1, let alone once deals can start to become official between free agents and new teams. Even so, such a storyline has to feel uncomfortably familiar for many Canucks fans … although perhaps the franchise could gain some much-needed stability in the end?
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)