Jun 25, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have a new look in the front office, yet it’s possible that the franchise might continue to produce headlines with goaltending drama.
Vancouver’s News 1130 Sports reports that the team called pending UFA Ryan Miller‘s agent on Wednesday (in addition to Dave Bolland, as noted earlier). News 1130 Sports also reports that Miller wouldn’t have any issues playing in Vancouver, so there’s a chance that there can be a match.
That report was backed up by CTV’s Kelcey Brade:
Do note that this hasn’t been confirmed by the team or Miller’s agent, yet it doesn’t seem outlandish to imagine something working out between the Canucks and the 33-year-old goalie.
While Vancouver has two goalies under contract at the NHL level next season, Miller is far more experienced than either netminder. Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom have 88 career regular season games played between them while Miller has played in 559 (not to mention his playoff experience, the 2010 Olympic silver medal and a Vezina).
Lack makes $1.15 million for the next two seasons while Markstrom will be a RFA after he finishes out a deal that carries a $1.2 million cap hit in 2014-15. There’s no telling how far the Canucks and Miller even got in potential contract talks, yet at those cap hits, it wouldn’t be difficult for Vancouver to move one of Lack or Markstrom if necessary.
Again, a lot can change between today and July 1, let alone once deals can start to become official between free agents and new teams. Even so, such a storyline has to feel uncomfortably familiar for many Canucks fans … although perhaps the franchise could gain some much-needed stability in the end?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)