Jun 25, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have a new look in the front office, yet it’s possible that the franchise might continue to produce headlines with goaltending drama.
Vancouver’s News 1130 Sports reports that the team called pending UFA Ryan Miller‘s agent on Wednesday (in addition to Dave Bolland, as noted earlier). News 1130 Sports also reports that Miller wouldn’t have any issues playing in Vancouver, so there’s a chance that there can be a match.
That report was backed up by CTV’s Kelcey Brade:
Do note that this hasn’t been confirmed by the team or Miller’s agent, yet it doesn’t seem outlandish to imagine something working out between the Canucks and the 33-year-old goalie.
While Vancouver has two goalies under contract at the NHL level next season, Miller is far more experienced than either netminder. Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom have 88 career regular season games played between them while Miller has played in 559 (not to mention his playoff experience, the 2010 Olympic silver medal and a Vezina).
Lack makes $1.15 million for the next two seasons while Markstrom will be a RFA after he finishes out a deal that carries a $1.2 million cap hit in 2014-15. There’s no telling how far the Canucks and Miller even got in potential contract talks, yet at those cap hits, it wouldn’t be difficult for Vancouver to move one of Lack or Markstrom if necessary.
Again, a lot can change between today and July 1, let alone once deals can start to become official between free agents and new teams. Even so, such a storyline has to feel uncomfortably familiar for many Canucks fans … although perhaps the franchise could gain some much-needed stability in the end?
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 22
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)