Jun 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Like Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau is already on record as saying he wants to stay in San Jose. Both of them have no-movement clauses and after consulting with each other, Marleau thinks that the two will start the 2014-15 campaign with the Sharks.
The team’s under pressure to make changes though after their first round collapse to the Los Angeles Kings boiled over frustrations stemming from years of disappointing showings in the playoffs. It sounds like there are Sharks players that want to see changes too, as some of them told Sharks GM Doug Wilson that the team was a group of “co-workers and not teammates,” per CSN Bay Area.
Marleau said it’s something they’re looking at and acknowledged that you can get more out of a tight-knit team, but he also doesn’t “see it as a big thing.”
“Obviously, you want to have a close-knit team,” Marleau added. “I think there are certain things that we can do as an organization to make that happen, whether it’s going out and having a get-away together, and team bonding. Things like that.”
Either way, Marleau is eager to get back into the playoffs in the hopes that 2015 will be the year that the Sharks redeem themselves.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)