Jun 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Leon Draisaitl (C)
Height: 6’1.5” Weight: 204 Shoots: Left
Team: Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting Ranking: No. 4 North American skater
What kind of player is he?
Draisaitl is the “new hotness” amongst the top prospects. Yes, he’s listed No. 4 by Central Scouting so people were already high on him, but his size and skill have some thinking he could unseat fellow centers Sam Reinhart or Sam Bennett in the Top 3.
He had 105 points this season with Price Albert, the same number Reinhart had with Kootenay, tying them for ninth-best in the CHL. He was a powerful playmaker with 67 assists and in highlight reels from the past season he looks like a man amongst boys not only with his skill but his size.
He has great vision and reach to make passes others cannot and has a very quick wrist shot. Check out this highlight reel for proof.
Quotable: TSN’s Craig Button is one of the smartest guys around when it comes to scouting prospects and his thoughts on Draisaitl are interesting as he shared with the Edmonton Journal:
“Leon is a big center who is smart, can make plays and can impact the game in multiple ways. He’s the type of center who is coveted by many NHL clubs because of his combination of size and skill.”
Mark Seidel is the Chief Scout for NACScouting and here’s what his thoughts are on the big German:
“Went through stages where he was the best player in the draft (November & early December) and stages where you wondered about his future (WJC’s). He learned to use his body more and more and has very soft hands for big kid that makes great passes into tight areas. He got much better defensively, has a heavy shot, and excellent anticipation abilities. He doesn’t have a long torso or limbs but very thick and strong. It’s hard to get the puck away from him.”
For more 2014 NHL Draft previews, click here.
Oilers select Draisaitl with the third overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)