Jun 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Leading up to the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Brendan Perlini (LW)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 205 Shoots: Left
Team: Niagara IceDogs (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 8 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Perlini wears jersey No. 11, which is a tribute to his father Fred Perlini, who put up all sorts of ridiculous scoring numbers in British/overseas hockey leagues. (Just take a gander at this page … the stats are zany.) Family is a big theme with this prospect in general, as his brother Brett (the 192nd pick of the 2010 NHL Draft by Anaheim) also wears No. 11.
It’s not too surprising that Perlini has the potential to be a prolific scorer like his father … yet hopefully on the NHL level.
He’s a sizable forward with a big shot who draws some praise for his skating ability to boot. Perlini enjoyed a big jump in production from 2012-13 (10 points in 27 games) to 2013-14 (71 points in 58 games). Comparisons range from Ryan Strome to James Van Riemsdyk.
While Perlini’s potential as a sniper is most likely to entice teams, Niagara IceDogs assistant coach David Bell raved to Buzzing the Net about his interest in improving his all-around game.
“He has a pro approach,” Bell said. “He comes and asks about his improvements on the penalty kill and on his D zone. He knows he needs to work on his total package. A lot of guys, all they want to talk about is points. He’s not yet once come and asked, ‘let me see the goal I just scored.’ Rather, it’s ‘where should I have been on that goal against?’ or ‘where should I have been on that penalty kill?’ That’s what pros do.”
For more 2014 NHL Draft previews, click here.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)