Draft prospect Ho-Sang says he has No. 1 overall talent

Jun 25, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

Josh Ho-Sang Getty Images

If you haven’t heard about Windsor Spitfires forward Josh Ho-Sang, you’ll get to hear about him plenty during the 2014 NHL Draft.

Ho-Sang is ranked 22nd by NHL Central Scouting. While that slates him to potentially be a first-round pick this year, he believes he’s got the ability to make him No. 1 overall as Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun shared.

“The Leafs have said they want to move up to pick first,” Ho-Sang said. “Well, they can stay at eight and still get the No. 1 pick.”

Yes, Ho-Sang was referring to himself and for the kid who said he looks up to Patrick Kane and P.K. Subban as his favorite NHL players, he’s got some of the skills to make a case for himself.

He had 32 goals and 85 points for the Spitfires this past season to lead the team in scoring in just his second season in the OHL. He’s got speed and plays a tenacious game.

While he’s not likely going to be first overall, the question will be where he gets picked. He could go anywhere from in the Top 10 to early in the second-round. At the very least, he’s a guy worth keeping an eye on to see if he can back up his confident claims.

1. hockey412 - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM

He seems awesome, but damn he talks a lot (ended the season with a 15 game suspension, too). Seems to be quite the agitator.

2. lowenni - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM

This kid is a really interesting prospect. He really does have talent as good as anyone in the class, if not the best. I mean his skill set is absolutely amazing. That being said, his personality and attitude are going to create problems in a hockey culture that is based around humbleness and class. I’ve heard some people say this guy is gonna go top-10 and some say he won’t go till the third round cause teams are so turned off by his attitude. If Evander and Patrick Kane created problems then this kid will twofold, but I believe him when he says three years from now he could be the best player in the draft. I see Patrick Kane in him.

• lordfletcher - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM

sonny milano reminds me of Patrick Kane more than Ho-Sang.

I see Ho going in the late teen’s – 20’s. He is too good of a prospect to fall that far but there are serious concerns with him.

un draftable in the 1st unless you know your team has a great group of locker room guys. Younger teams with less leadership should stay away!!!!

• lightning79 - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Steve Yzerman take a chance on him at 28. Last year, Adam Erne had some trouble with Pat Roy, where the wife-beater himself decided to suspend Erne. Pat Roy passed on Erne in the 2nd round, SY decided to take him.

Seems like Al Murray/Steve Yzerman don’t shy away from players with troubled CHL past. (Erne’s case was minor compared to Ho-Sang and DeAngelo)

3. lowenni - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Also really interesting interview with him here: http://m.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

4. silversun60 - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Nazem Kadri 2.0

• spezzdispenser - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM

that’s not a compliment right?

• dueman - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Get out of here with that comparison. I’m from Windsor, and I’ve seen this kid play a lot, and trust me when I say that, Naz is a completely different kind of player. This kids biggest problem is himself. He has skill yes, (though never in a million years would I put him in the same category as a Patrick Kane) but he NEVER uses his team mates. Instead he always tries to beat every opponent by dangling around them, which leads to far too many turnovers. Naz takes pride in being a set up guy! Josh likes to throw the race card around, and has real authority issues as well, and takes a lot of really stupid penalties which hurt his team. This kid is borderline un-coachable, which is sad because he could be so much better. I’m thinking that this kid falls out of the first round entirely, and if he doesn’t figure things out soon, he could end up seeing an NHL career pass by him.

• silversun60 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I meant because Kadri seems to have had a similar attitude. I don’t know about Naz taking pride in being a set up guy…..

5. cliffatola - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:55 AM

The kid has the talent but he is still just a kid, hopefully some time to mature will help him, until then he ought to keep his mouth shut. On a more positive note he did do 13 more pull ups than Sam Bennett.

• nyrnashty - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I think Gretzky did zero pull ups! Hockey players are not really known for doing pull ups.

6. lallin66fan - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

What a douchebag… I like him!

7. stevepopo - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM

He wears 66 which seems to sum up his attitude- “I’ll do what I want”.

• killerpgh - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM

A mock draft on NHL.com has the Penguins taking him with the 22nd pick (the other 2 writers have him going 30th to the Devils and not at all in the first round). Better get used to a new # if the writer is correct about Pittsburgh.

8. nyrnashty - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM

What a Ho bag!

9. 19to77 - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Evander Kane all over again. Pass.

10. floreskins - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Woo, Woo Kenny Wu!!

11. flyerspsu - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM

he does, but he is also a headcase w/ several flaws/red flags which is why he is ranked much lower, wouldnt mind the Flyers taking him though if he slips down to 17

12. djshnooks - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Ho-Sang & DeAngelo…2 extremely talented prospects that some team’s going to get a steal with, maybe in the 2nd round.

I know, like I said in another comment, Buffalo is very intrigued by them both.

And for the guy who said, “pass” on Evander Kane…good thing you’re not a GM. Buffalo is said to be trying to trade for Evander Kane…and I’d love for them to do so. He’s an “elite” player, without question.

Those guys don’t grow on trees, and they are very rarely, if ever, available in free agency…or even a trade half the time.

I believe this will be the summer of 2014’s Tyler Seguin trade, Kane to the Sabres. (I don’t want to lose Myers at all, but that is the only piece that gets the convo started.)

• lordfletcher - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Buffalo will not trade a 2014 or 2015 first which would be required to get Kane as they need a full blown rebuild.

So no… Buffalo will not trade for E. Kane unless the Jets are will to take only skaters.

• dueman - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM

There isn’t a half decent player available, or a prospect on the horizon, that according to Shnooks, isn’t already looking for housing in Buffalo…

• 19to77 - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Kane’s got talent. Believe me, I’ll never deny his huge potential. I’m from Vancouver. I always want to see a local boy make it big. But all that possibility is buried under ego and drama and laziness, and what do we get in the end? Evander Kane the 41-point trade bait, because he won’t buckle down and get the hell over himself. And unless Ho-Sang shows a major attitude change in the next couple years, I’m entirely comfortable predicting the same of him – a hugely talented, arrogant near-bust who’s good for maybe 20 goals and an equal number of headlines in the local news for walking out on cheques and getting in fights.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches