Jun 24, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron is having himself quite the Tuesday.
Bergeron is likely proudest of winning the second Selke Trophy of his career and the NHL Foundation Player Award for the 2013-14 season, yet he also won the fan vote to become the cover athlete for EA Sports’ upcoming video game “NHL 15.” Bergeron edged Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban in the voting, which often took over Twitter as fans and team feeds barraged social media promoting the process.
“Being featured on the cover of NHL 15 is a dream come true,” Bergeron said. “The fact that the cover is selected entirely by fans is an incredible feeling. The passion and support from hockey fans, especially Bruins fans, is unlike any other sport and I’m so grateful to everyone who voted for me.”
“NHL 15″ is the first hockey video game to make the jump to the Xbox One and Playstation 4. The game launches on those consoles plus Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in North America on Sept. 9 and in Europe on Sept. 12.
Perhaps that greater processing power will open up door for the simulation to more accurately capture the nuances that make Bergeron such a great two-way forward in reality?
Deep down, the biggest question is: how much will this nod soup up his player rating? He generally hovers in the high-80s, so maybe this will bump him into the 90’s?
Martin Brodeur was the video game series’ most recent cover athlete in the “NHL 14″ iteration. He was rated in the 85 range, so maybe the days of the cover athlete getting a huge boost are over …
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)