Jun 24, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
In his first season as an NHL head coach, Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy won the 2014 Jack Adams Award.
First-year coaches have actually enjoyed nice immediate successes, although that’s often come in deep playoff runs rather than in bringing home the Jack Adams. Bruce Boudreau was the most recent first-year coach to pull off this feat before Roy, as he did so in his fantastic debut with the Washington Capitals in 2008.
Roy took an Avalanche team many expected to miss the playoffs once again to a Central Division victory and the second most standings points in the Western Conference. Overall, Colorado’s 112 points only trailed Boston and Anaheim, as the Avs finished 52-22-8.
Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper is also very new to the job, as this was his first full season with the Bolts. He joined far-from-new Detroit Red Wings bench boss Mike Babcock as the other finals for the Jack Adams.
Here are the full voting results:
1. Patrick Roy, COL 399 (68-19-2)
2. Mike Babcock, DET 163 (11-31-15)
3. Jon Cooper, TB 136 (5-29-24)
4. Claude Julien, BOS 68 (6-8-14)
5. Bruce Boudreau, ANA 24 (1-4-7)
6. Craig Berube, PHI 23 (1-4-6)
7. Ken Hitchcock, STL 14 (2-0-4)
8. Todd Richards, CBJ 6 (0-0-6)
9. Joel Quenneville, CHI 5 (1-0-0)
10. Lindy Ruff, DAL 5 (0-0-5)
11. Dan Bylsma, PIT 4 (0-0-4)
Todd McLellan, SJ 4 (0-0-4)
13. Mike Yeo, MIN 2 (0-0-2)
14. Michel Therrien, MTL 1 (0-0-1)
Barry Trotz, NSH 1 (0-0-1)
Check out the Jack Adams winners and second-place finishers since 1990:
Year Winner Runner-up
2014 Patrick Roy, Col. Mike Babcock, Det.
2013 Paul MacLean, Ott. Joel Quenneville, Chi.
2012 Ken Hitchcock, St.L. John Tortorella, NYR
2011 Dan Bylsma, Pit. Alain Vigneault, Van.
2010 Dave Tippett, Phx. Barry Trotz, Nsh.
2009 Claude Julien, Bos. Andy Murray, St.L
2008 Bruce Boudreau, Wsh. Guy Carbonneau, Mtl.
2007 Alain Vigneault, Van. Lindy Ruff, Buf.
2006 Lindy Ruff, Buf. Peter Laviolette, Car.
2004 John Tortorella, T.B. Ron Wilson, S.J.
2003 Jacques Lemaire, Min. John Tortorella, T.B.
2002 Bob Francis, Phx. Brian Sutter, Chi.
2001 Bill Barber, Phi. Scotty Bowman, Det.
2000 Joel Quenneville, St.L Alain Vigneault, Mtl.
1999 Jacques Martin, Ott. Pat Quinn, Tor.
1998 Pat Burns, Bos. Larry Robinson, L.A
1997 Ted Nolan, Buf. Ken Hitchcock, Dal.
1996 Scott Bowman, Det. Doug MacLean, Fla.
1995 Marc Crawford, Que. Scott Bowman, Det.
1994 Jacques Lemaire, N.J. Kevin Constantine, S.J.
1993 Pat Burns, Tor. Brian Sutter, Bos.
1992 Pat Quinn, Van. Roger Neilson, NYR
1991 Brian Sutter, St.L Tom Webster, L.A.
1990 Bob Murdoch, Wpg. Mike Milbury, Bos.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Terrible luck for the 22-year-old rookie d-man.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Johan Franzen has been placed on IR.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Lots of questions being asked in Winnipeg.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Court date scheduled for Oct. 22.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Hard lines, T.J. Brodie.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s blue line is one of the deepest in the NHL.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)