Jun 24, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat have been named to the NHL’s 2014 All-Rookie team, giving the Tampa Bay Lightning such an honor after finishing the season among the top three in scoring for first-year players.
Nathan MacKinnon,who took home the Calder Trophy earlier in the evening, finished atop the rookie class in scoring with 24 goals and 63 points for the Colorado Avalanche. MacKinnon and Johnson each finished with the same number of goals. The Avalanche qualified for the post-season, winning the Central Division during the regular season.
MacKinnon, still only 18 years of age, was dynamic in the playoffs even though the Avalanche lost in the opening round. He finished with 10 points in seven post-season games.
After emerging on to the NHL scene in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs for the Boston Bruins, Torey Krug was named to the All-Rookie team on defense, as was Hampus Lindholm of the Anaheim Ducks. In goal, Frederik Andersen, also from the Ducks, made the squad.
2013-14 NHL ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
GP W L OT GAA SV% SO
G Frederik Andersen, Anaheim Ducks 28 20 5 0 2.29 .923 0
GP G A PTS TOI/G
D Torey Krug, Boston Bruins 79 14 26 40 17:30
D Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks 78 6 24 30 19:25
F Tyler Johnson, Tampa Bay Lightning 82 24 26 50 18:47
F Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche 82 24 39 63 17:20
F Ondrej Palat, Tampa Bay Lightning 82 23 36 59 18:02
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)