Jun 24, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The contract is worth $1.5 million in 2014-15 and $2 million in 2015-16.
Much like today’s other noteworthy signing* Ron Hainsey, Gerbe made an impression with Carolina in his first season with the ‘Canes. The under-sized forward scored 16 goals and 31 points in 2013-14, tying career-highs in the process.
Despite being a small player, it doesn’t seem like Gerbe’s offensive stats masked overall deficiencies, as his possession stats were pretty solid last season to boot.
With new head coach Bill Peters in the mix and these supporting cast players returning, the Hurricanes are covering their bases early in the offseason. Then again, these moves could also be the prelude of even bigger things to come as new GM Ron Francis changes things up.
* – They also locked up Chris Terry to a one-year, two-way deal today.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)