Jun 24, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The contract is worth $1.5 million in 2014-15 and $2 million in 2015-16.
Much like today’s other noteworthy signing* Ron Hainsey, Gerbe made an impression with Carolina in his first season with the ‘Canes. The under-sized forward scored 16 goals and 31 points in 2013-14, tying career-highs in the process.
Despite being a small player, it doesn’t seem like Gerbe’s offensive stats masked overall deficiencies, as his possession stats were pretty solid last season to boot.
With new head coach Bill Peters in the mix and these supporting cast players returning, the Hurricanes are covering their bases early in the offseason. Then again, these moves could also be the prelude of even bigger things to come as new GM Ron Francis changes things up.
* – They also locked up Chris Terry to a one-year, two-way deal today.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 11
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 36
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 32
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21