Jun 24, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The contract is worth $1.5 million in 2014-15 and $2 million in 2015-16.
Much like today’s other noteworthy signing* Ron Hainsey, Gerbe made an impression with Carolina in his first season with the ‘Canes. The under-sized forward scored 16 goals and 31 points in 2013-14, tying career-highs in the process.
Despite being a small player, it doesn’t seem like Gerbe’s offensive stats masked overall deficiencies, as his possession stats were pretty solid last season to boot.
With new head coach Bill Peters in the mix and these supporting cast players returning, the Hurricanes are covering their bases early in the offseason. Then again, these moves could also be the prelude of even bigger things to come as new GM Ron Francis changes things up.
* – They also locked up Chris Terry to a one-year, two-way deal today.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)