Jun 24, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The contract is worth $1.5 million in 2014-15 and $2 million in 2015-16.
Much like today’s other noteworthy signing* Ron Hainsey, Gerbe made an impression with Carolina in his first season with the ‘Canes. The under-sized forward scored 16 goals and 31 points in 2013-14, tying career-highs in the process.
Despite being a small player, it doesn’t seem like Gerbe’s offensive stats masked overall deficiencies, as his possession stats were pretty solid last season to boot.
With new head coach Bill Peters in the mix and these supporting cast players returning, the Hurricanes are covering their bases early in the offseason. Then again, these moves could also be the prelude of even bigger things to come as new GM Ron Francis changes things up.
* – They also locked up Chris Terry to a one-year, two-way deal today.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)