Jun 24, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The contract is worth $1.5 million in 2014-15 and $2 million in 2015-16.
Much like today’s other noteworthy signing* Ron Hainsey, Gerbe made an impression with Carolina in his first season with the ‘Canes. The under-sized forward scored 16 goals and 31 points in 2013-14, tying career-highs in the process.
Despite being a small player, it doesn’t seem like Gerbe’s offensive stats masked overall deficiencies, as his possession stats were pretty solid last season to boot.
With new head coach Bill Peters in the mix and these supporting cast players returning, the Hurricanes are covering their bases early in the offseason. Then again, these moves could also be the prelude of even bigger things to come as new GM Ron Francis changes things up.
* – They also locked up Chris Terry to a one-year, two-way deal today.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 35
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 16
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6