Hextall says he ‘wasn’t shopping Scott Hartnell’

Jun 24, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

scotthartnellsologetty Getty Images

One day later and people are still wondering what led Flyers general manager Ron Hextall to trade popular forward Scott Hartnell to Columbus for R.J. Umberger.

According to Hextall, it wasn’t anything against Hartnell.

“I wasn’t shopping Scott Hartnell,” Hextall said, per CSN Philly. “When I was circling around with the other managers, I said, ‘We need some cap relief here. If you can think of anything, let me know.’ Columbus ended up coming hard after Scott.

“It didn’t give us a lot of cap relief, ironically. But it was a deal that I thought about for a few days before I went to Scotty’s agent because I realized he had a no-movement clause. It was a sensitive issue.”

Indeed it was. Hartnell admitted he was “pretty shocked at first” to hear that the Flyers wanted him to waive his no-movement clause. However, he eventually “decided that Columbus is an up-and-coming team. They have young, great players. It was the right decision for me to go to a team that was very excited to have me.”

Hextall, meanwhile, wants the Flyers to get faster. And for all the goals Hartnell scored in Philadelphia, the big winger never brought much speed to the table.

Said Hextall of his conversation with Hartnell: “The one question he asked me was, ‘When did I fall out of favor?’ I said, ‘No Hartsy, you haven’t fallen out of favor. This is just something that fits for us and we want to move forward with it.'”

1. titansrbeast - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM

That’s gonna be weird to not see Hartnell in Orange.

• ngsm31 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM

He’s a soulless ginger, he’ll always be orange.

• storminator16 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

That might have been the greatest, unexpected comment ever. ROFL

• mcphillthy - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Lmao. I don’t know why but this is friggin funny!

2. blackandorangeforlife - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM

3. flyerspsu - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM

This makes me understand the trade even less … It seems like the jackets just really wanted him and Hextall was like hey umberger is fast, I like him, sure why not

For someone who says he really likes analytics he hasn’t seemed to take them into consideration for his moves or analysis of players, at least not yet

4. flyerspsu - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Also why wouldn’t hextall shop Hartnell around 1st to see if he could get a better offer, which he probably would have, than just take Columbus’ offer

5. ducksk - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Yeah right Ron. Things like this just don’t happen….just saying

6. blue21c - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Love it!!!!!Can’t wait to see Scott in Union Blue!!!

7. crazemastercraze - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM

And the joke continues

8. flyboystransport - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM

They didn’t make the trade for cap SPACE…it was for cap FLEXABILITY. Meaning 3 years down the road Hartnell will be untradable and likely won’t be worth the cap hit. Good guy, good player. Will be missed in philly

• thefutureofoil - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:17 AM

And now Umberger can be traded at any time.

9. sumkat - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Why is everyone acting like Hartnell is some great player, and this changes the entire Flyers franchise? Sure, he scored some goals, on Giroux’s coat tails. He never put up those kind of numbers before he got put on his line, and he’s never put up similar number in numerous stints on other lines. He’s scrappy, willing to go to the front of the net and take hits, and have decent (not great) hands in close. Those are great qualities, in a 3rd line winger

He also can’t defend for his life, has no touch for passing or stick handling, and is an awful skater (I’ve never seen a guy fall so much in my life). He has value on a team, for half of his contract. I’m not that happy with the deal, Umberger is the one young guy we gave away that didn’t turn out to be a game changer. But it’s moving a guy who makes way too much money, and is on the way down, not up. In 2 years, his contract is going to be one of the worst in the league

• sumkat - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Oh, and I didn’t mention his habit of taking stupid penalties at the worst possible times

• mcphillthy - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Yes! And all of his stupid penalties!

• mikedoc315 - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Hartnell may not have been the best player on the ice but moving him only saves the Flyers 150.000 a year. That’s not a lot of savings,yes Umberger has less years remaining on his contract,but his numbers aren’t as good as Hartnell’s. The reality is both players are on the downward part of their careers. I can deal with getting rid of Hartnell but not just to pick up someone who put’s up worse numbers for an almost identical cap hit. Hextall has his work cut out for him,this should be an interesting draft.

10. President Charles Logan - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Umberger is still lying out cold on the ice after the hit Campbell laid on him ..
    good luck with that useless Nancy Flyers fan

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:22 AM

What a surprise the guy who criticizes everything Flyer related (including Hartnell) has something negative to say. Believe me, there are no misconceptions here about what Umberger is… unlike some of the folks in Columbus who believe Hartnell will be a boost to their top-6. Like Hartnell, Umberger is a 3rd liner, but he can actually play there. There was no fit for Hartnell in Philadelphia (other than the 4th line), so why not flip him for a slightly less productive, but more mobile and defensive-minded, version. You are one of the folks who likes to rag on this organization for a lack of forward thinking… yet when they make a move primarily for 3 years from now, when some young guys will need new deals, it’s still a dumb idea.

Stick to UGA football.

• President Charles Logan - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

77 relax..
        rj umberger is another injury prone flyer retread that will not be nearly as productive as hartnell.. and since you seem to study my posts on here , you’d know that i am a hartnell fan and liked his style of play. and you defend every move your team makes eventually.. even if you question it at first

11. President Charles Logan - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

good luck with that useless Nancy Flyers fans

12. phtjoey - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I don’t get the discontent expressed by the Flyers’ fans. Hartnell’s a very slow footed player by today’s standards to play with 1c on any team. Hopefully this is just the first move to improve the speed and talent on the Flyers.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches