Jun 24, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Samuel Bennett (C)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 178 Shoots: Left
Team: Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
A lot was made of the fact Bennett couldn’t do a single pull-up at the NHL Scouting Combine last month, although it’s hard — if not impossible — to think his professional career will be defined by something he couldn’t do in the gym as a 17 year old. When it comes to on the ice, he’s been labeled by NHL Central Scouting as a complete player.
Bennett, playing in his second OHL season, scored 36 goals and 91 points — to go along with 118 penalty minutes — in 57 games for Kingston last year.
Where he goes in the draft, however, might have more to do with what NHL teams are looking for as opposed to rank, because even though he is the No. 1 North American skater, there doesn’t seem to be a clear favorite for the No. 1 overall pick.
Bennett, as mentioned, created a stir when he failed to do a pull-up at the scouting combine. He still does come equipped with a tantalizing skill set for a young player who only turned 18 years of age a few days ago, according to Matt Nichol, a former strength coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Toronto Star.
“He’s a fantastic player and a highly skilled guy. Those things you can’t teach or coach. You can develop them if they have them, but you can’t teach them if they don’t.”
For more 2014 NHL Draft previews, click here.
Bennett is headed to the Flames after Calgary selected him with the fourth overall pick
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)