Jun 24, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
The 2014 GM of the Year Award went to Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray.
Murray is the fifth winner of the newly established trophy for the top executive in the NHL. He joked that he would easily switch places with Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who finished third in voting but whose team happened to win the 2014 Stanley Cup.
Plenty of votes also went to Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin, who rounded out the top three finalists for the award.
The Ducks earned the most standings points in the Western Conference and the second-most in the NHL overall with 116. They went 54-20-8. The Kings ousted them in the second round of the postseason, but voting is only based on the regular season.
Murray made some bold moves over the last season-and-change, sending Bobby Ryan out of town and acquiring Mathieu Perreault via trades. He managed to bring back Teemu Selanne, yet his best work might be in developing the Ducks’ promising group of prospects. Kyle Palmieri, John Gibson and Frederik Andersen rank among young players who are already showing promise in the present and may only get better in the future.
Naturally, this award is also based on cumulative work, and hiring Bruce Boudreau in 2011 is clearly paying off.
Here are the voting results:
1. Bob Murray, ANA 66 (9-6-3)
2. Marc Bergevin, MTL 49 (7-4-2)
3. Dean Lombardi, LA 33 (3-4-6)
4. Stan Bowman, CHI 29 (3-4-2)
5. Jim Nill, DAL 27 (4-0-7)
6. Peter Chiarelli, BOS 23 (2-3-4)
7. Chuck Fletcher, MIN 21 (2-3-2)
8. Steve Yzerman, TB 19 (2-2-3)
9. Ken Holland, DET 14 (1-3-0)
10. Greg Sherman, COL 10 (2-0-0)
11. Glen Sather, NYR 9 (0-2-3)
12. Jarmo Kekalainen, CBJ 8 (0-2-2)
13. Doug Armstrong, STL 6 (0-2-0)
14. Dale Tallon, FLA 1 (0-0-1)
Here are the five all-time winners:
Year Winner Team
2014 Bob Murray Anaheim
2013 Ray Shero Pittsburgh
2012 Doug Armstrong St. Louis
2011 Mike Gillis Vancouver
2010 Don Maloney Phoenix
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 1
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 7
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 46
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)