Jun 24, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
It’s not much of a surprise that Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby won his second career Hart Trophy on Tuesday. The bigger surprise might be that it took him until 2014 to notch his second MVP.
Penguins fans have been spoiled by Hart winners over the years, yet Crosby joins Mario Lemieux as the only Pittsburgh players to win the MVP multiple times (Lemieux won three). Jaromir Jagr and Evgeni Malkin took one apiece.
Crosby also nabbed his third career Pearson/Lindsay Trophy and Art Ross Trophy to put the bow on a sensational 2013-14 campaign, even if the future is fuzzy for the player and his franchise.
The 26-year-old took home his first Hart Trophy in his sophomore season back in 2006-07. Since then, the league’s biggest name won a Stanley Cup, two Olympic gold medals and improved multiple facets of his game, including going from a weak faceoff guy to one of the league’s top winners.
Unfortunately, it’s also been a bumpy road for “Sid the Kid.” Concussions and other injuries marred previous seasons and are the leading reason behind this being “only” his second MVP. As derisive as voting can be, almost anyone would acknowledge that Crosby was running away with the voting in 2012-13 before fate intervened in the form of a puck to the mouth.
He made little mistake about who would win the Hart in 2013-14, though. Crosby scored 104 points, the third-highest total of his career. It’s that much more impressive when you compare how Crosby fared to the rest of league’s top scorers, though; no one else even topped 90 points as Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf finished in second place with 87 points.
Crosby’s “fancy stats” were fantastic this season, too, so this is an award that few can quibble with.
Getzlaf and Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux rounded out the three finalists for the 2014 Hart Trophy. Here are the top 10 vote-getters:
1. Sidney Crosby, PIT 1341 (128-8-1-0-0)
2. Ryan Getzlaf, ANA 877 (5-96-28-5-0)
3. Claude Giroux, PHI 435 (2-15-42-27-19)
4. Semyon Varlamov, COL 256 (1-8-23-22-9)
5. Patrice Bergeron, BOS 137 (0-4-9-17-13)
6. Tyler Seguin, DAL 84 (0-1-6-12-11)
7. Joe Pavelski, SJ 71 (0-0-3-11-23)
8. Anze Kopitar, LA 58 (0-0-4-9-11)
9. Jonathan Toews, CHI 53 (0-2-4-4-7)
10. Ben Bishop, TB 52 (0-0-5-6-9)
Clearly Crosby ran away with the voting. Here are the MVP-winners and the second-place guys since 1990:
Year Winner Runner-up
2014 Sidney Crosby, Pit. Ryan Getzlaf, Ana.
2013 Alex Ovechkin, Wsh. Sidney Crosby, Pit.
2012 Evgeni Malkin, Pit. Steven Stamkos, T.B.
2011 Corey Perry, Ana. Daniel Sedin, Van.
2010 Henrik Sedin, Van. Alex Ovechkin, Wsh.
2009 Alex Ovechkin, Wsh. Evgeni Malkin, Pit.
2008 Alex Ovechkin, Wsh. Evgeni Malkin, Pit.
2007 Sidney Crosby, Pit. Roberto Luongo, Van.
2006 Joe Thornton, S.J. Jaromir Jagr, NYR
2004 Martin St. Louis, T.B. Jarome Iginla, Cgy.
2003 Peter Forsberg, Col. Markus Naslund, Van.
2002 Jose Theodore, Mtl. Jarome Iginla, Cgy.
2001 Joe Sakic, Col. Mario Lemieux, Pit.
2000 Chris Pronger, St.L Jaromir Jagr, Pit.
1999 Jaromir Jagr, Pit. Alexei Yashin, Ott.
1998 Dominik Hasek, Buf. Jaromir Jagr, Pit.
1997 Dominik Hasek, Buf. Paul Kariya, Ana.
1996 Mario Lemieux, Pit. Mark Messier, NYR
1995 Eric Lindros, Phi. Jaromir Jagr, Pit.
1994 Sergei Fedorov, Det. Dominik Hasek, Buf.
1993 Mario Lemieux, Pit. Doug Gilmour, Tor.
1992 Mark Messier, NYR Patrick Roy, Mtl.
1991 Brett Hull, St.L Wayne Gretzky, L.A.
1990 Mark Messier, Edm. Ray Bourque, Bos.
More PHT’s Awards Coverage
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)