Jun 24, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have found their next goalie coach — one that’s new to the organization, but familiar to head coach Barry Trotz.
Mitch Korn, who spent the last 15 years alongside Trotz in Nashville, has been named as Olaf Kolzig’s replacement in Washington, the club announced on Tuesday. Korn takes over after Kolzig left his post of three years due to family reasons.
“I am very pleased to join the Washington Capitals and continue to work alongside Barry Trotz,” Korn said in a statement. “I look forward to working with all of the talented goaltenders in the organization and helping them improve and succeed on the ice. I want to thank the Nashville Predators for a great 16 years and wish them the very best in the future.
“I have known Olie for many years and have a great appreciation and respect for the way he views the goaltending position. We will continue to discuss the best way for him to remain with the organization while doing what’s best for his family.”
Known as one of the most successful goalie coaches in the NHL, Korn worked with four-time Vezina winner Dominik Hasek in Buffalo before joining the Predators organization. With Nashville, Korn was lauded for his tutelage of Pekka Rinne — a two-time Vezina finalist — and ex-Preds goalie Tomas Vokoun.
His expertise will come in handy, and immediately, with the Caps. The club doesn’t currently have a backup signed behind No. 1 Braden Holtby and there are a number of veteran goalies available in free agency. One expects Korn will have a major influence on who the club opts to bring in.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)