Jun 24, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have found their next goalie coach — one that’s new to the organization, but familiar to head coach Barry Trotz.
Mitch Korn, who spent the last 15 years alongside Trotz in Nashville, has been named as Olaf Kolzig’s replacement in Washington, the club announced on Tuesday. Korn takes over after Kolzig left his post of three years due to family reasons.
“I am very pleased to join the Washington Capitals and continue to work alongside Barry Trotz,” Korn said in a statement. “I look forward to working with all of the talented goaltenders in the organization and helping them improve and succeed on the ice. I want to thank the Nashville Predators for a great 16 years and wish them the very best in the future.
“I have known Olie for many years and have a great appreciation and respect for the way he views the goaltending position. We will continue to discuss the best way for him to remain with the organization while doing what’s best for his family.”
Known as one of the most successful goalie coaches in the NHL, Korn worked with four-time Vezina winner Dominik Hasek in Buffalo before joining the Predators organization. With Nashville, Korn was lauded for his tutelage of Pekka Rinne — a two-time Vezina finalist — and ex-Preds goalie Tomas Vokoun.
His expertise will come in handy, and immediately, with the Caps. The club doesn’t currently have a backup signed behind No. 1 Braden Holtby and there are a number of veteran goalies available in free agency. One expects Korn will have a major influence on who the club opts to bring in.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)