Jun 24, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have found their next goalie coach — one that’s new to the organization, but familiar to head coach Barry Trotz.
Mitch Korn, who spent the last 15 years alongside Trotz in Nashville, has been named as Olaf Kolzig’s replacement in Washington, the club announced on Tuesday. Korn takes over after Kolzig left his post of three years due to family reasons.
“I am very pleased to join the Washington Capitals and continue to work alongside Barry Trotz,” Korn said in a statement. “I look forward to working with all of the talented goaltenders in the organization and helping them improve and succeed on the ice. I want to thank the Nashville Predators for a great 16 years and wish them the very best in the future.
“I have known Olie for many years and have a great appreciation and respect for the way he views the goaltending position. We will continue to discuss the best way for him to remain with the organization while doing what’s best for his family.”
Known as one of the most successful goalie coaches in the NHL, Korn worked with four-time Vezina winner Dominik Hasek in Buffalo before joining the Predators organization. With Nashville, Korn was lauded for his tutelage of Pekka Rinne — a two-time Vezina finalist — and ex-Preds goalie Tomas Vokoun.
His expertise will come in handy, and immediately, with the Caps. The club doesn’t currently have a backup signed behind No. 1 Braden Holtby and there are a number of veteran goalies available in free agency. One expects Korn will have a major influence on who the club opts to bring in.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)