Jun 24, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have found their next goalie coach — one that’s new to the organization, but familiar to head coach Barry Trotz.
Mitch Korn, who spent the last 15 years alongside Trotz in Nashville, has been named as Olaf Kolzig’s replacement in Washington, the club announced on Tuesday. Korn takes over after Kolzig left his post of three years due to family reasons.
“I am very pleased to join the Washington Capitals and continue to work alongside Barry Trotz,” Korn said in a statement. “I look forward to working with all of the talented goaltenders in the organization and helping them improve and succeed on the ice. I want to thank the Nashville Predators for a great 16 years and wish them the very best in the future.
“I have known Olie for many years and have a great appreciation and respect for the way he views the goaltending position. We will continue to discuss the best way for him to remain with the organization while doing what’s best for his family.”
Known as one of the most successful goalie coaches in the NHL, Korn worked with four-time Vezina winner Dominik Hasek in Buffalo before joining the Predators organization. With Nashville, Korn was lauded for his tutelage of Pekka Rinne — a two-time Vezina finalist — and ex-Preds goalie Tomas Vokoun.
His expertise will come in handy, and immediately, with the Caps. The club doesn’t currently have a backup signed behind No. 1 Braden Holtby and there are a number of veteran goalies available in free agency. One expects Korn will have a major influence on who the club opts to bring in.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)