Jun 23, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
The scoring leader of the projected 2014 unrestricted free agent class, Vanek’s contract season was nothing if not eventful. He started the campaign with the Buffalo Sabres, but they quickly traded to the New York Islanders for Matt Moulson and picks.
The Sabres were focusing on rebuilding while, at the time, the Islanders hoped that Vanek would be able to push them into contention after they made the 2013 playoffs. It didn’t work out like that, but it was hardly Vanek’s fault as he formed one of the league’s most effective top lines with Kyle Okposo and John Tavares. It became clear the Islanders weren’t going to make the playoffs though and they couldn’t re-sign him, so he was traded once again, this time to Montreal.
Vanek’s tenure with the Canadiens proved to be a lot less pleasant. He was underwhelming in the playoffs, averaging just 14:52 minutes per contest, and took some heat after the New York Rangers eliminated the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference Final. Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur in particular questioned Vanek’s ability to perform when faced with adversity. His rough playoff run might have also lessened the Minnesota Wild’s interest in him.
He’s still arguably the top prize in this weak free agent market, but he’s no longer a slam dunk to get the massive contract that once appeared to be a foregone conclusion.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)