Jun 23, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
The pair of superstar forwards signed matching five-year, $31.5 million deals back in 2010 that expire next summer. It’s expected they’ll sign matching deals again this time around as well. As Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times shared, Toews said he’s in discussions with GM Stan Bowman already and wants to stay for a long time.
“We don’t know what that process is going to entail exactly, but I think everyone knows we love Chicago and we understand how much we’ve been given by the organization and fans,” Toews said. “We want to be there for as long as we possibly can be — hopefully our entire careers. That’s the priority right there.”
Toews was the third overall pick in the NHL Draft by the Blackhawks in 2006 and Kane was the No. 1 pick by Chicago in 2007. Those two have been the dynamic duo there ever since and have won two Stanley Cups together.
While the two want to stay together, Toews admitted that both he and Kane have to do what’s best for themselves and their families. It’s hard to picture these two parting ways right when it seems like they’re just getting going terrorizing the league with their skills.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)