Jun 23, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The possibility of change, including some of their veteran core players, has gripped hold of the San Jose Sharks for a while, ever since another playoff failure earlier this spring.
The term ‘rebuild’ has been thrown around, with San Jose general manager Doug Wilson recently saying the Sharks are a “tomorrow team.” With his client’s future in San Jose up for debate, Joe Thornton‘s agent said the towering center, about to enter a three-year deal worth a cap hit of $6.75 million per season, only wants to play for the Sharks.
Now it’s Patrick Marleau‘s turn to make a similar statement. Marleau, 34 years of age and about to enter a three-year deal with a cap hit of $6,666,667 million, has played his entire NHL career in San Jose.
“I want to play in San Jose,” Marleau told Nicholas Cotsonika of Yahoo Sports. “I want to win there.”
The Sharks had a chance to win this past season. They finished the season with 111 points, fourth in the overall Western Conference standings, and had the L.A. Kings on the ropes in the opening round, up three-games-to-none on the eventual Stanley Cup champions before the collapse.
The Sharks had experienced playoff failure before. This was of epic, historical proportion.
“I look at it as what I have to do as a player, what we have to do. Obviously it’s a big kick in the gut,” Marleau told Yahoo Sports.
“You have to get refocused, come back even that much more motivated in the off-season training and for next year, and I think we’re going to learn a lot about a lot of players coming back this next year after losing the way we did.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)