Hartnell was ‘shocked, angry’ Flyers moved on from him

Jun 23, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT

Scott Hartnell Getty Images

The sudden news of the Philadelphia Flyers dealing Scott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets for R.J. Umberger and a 2015 fourth-round pick was something that, according to Hartnell, had been building for a few days.

Ultimately Hartnell said on a conference call that he waived his no-trade clause to go to Columbus because the Flyers and GM Ron Hextall said they were ready to move on from him. Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shares the story.

“He decided it was best for me to move on from the Flyers,” Hartnell said. “To be honest, I was pretty shocked at first. I was upset and a little angry. I took a few days to look at the situation. It was hard.

“It was not easy. A lot of emotions. At the end of the day, I decided that Columbus is an up-and-coming team. They have young, great players. It was the right decision for me to go to a team that was very excited to have me.”

In Columbus, Hartnell will join budding superstar Ryan Johansen and forwards like Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, and Boone Jenner among others in making what could wind up being a formidable team.

Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said Hartnell’s only question on going to Columbus was whether they were committed to winning as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shared.

“He said, ‘I want to win. I’m 32 years old. I’ve made a lot of money. I want to win.’ That’s basically the question I wanted to hear, the answer I wanted to get, that that’s why he’s coming here and that’s what he wants to do.”

The Jackets and Flyers being divisional rivals should help keep things lively. As it was, the Flyers finished one point ahead of the Jackets last season. They’ll face each other five times in 2014-15.

1. blackandorangeforlife - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yes haters he has some class….Going to miss Hartsy!

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM

BOONE JENNER AINT NO PUNK

• gnashty - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM

As loved as he was/is he needed to go. He was too slow and not nearly enough skill to play where the Flyers needed him to play. Honestly, he should have been scoring 30-40 goals playing with play makers like G and V

• bildomatic - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM

3 players in the NHL scored 40 goals last season… 20 had 30, 6 of which had exactly 30… Not as easy as you might think.

2. chanceoffleury - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM

And the rise of ‘Lumbus continues. How many people would have bet on a half decent player waiving his NTC to come to Columbus 3 years ago??

And with all the Kesler being demanding and exclusive in his destinations talk, I think it’s just as bad when an organization throws a guy to the curb after giving him a NTC. I mean, yeah, Hartnell could have just said no he doesn’t want to waive it. But at the end of the day, it’s sorta like being fired from your job and then your boss telling you you can still come in from 9 to 5 everyday if you want, but we’re not going to give you any opportunity or job positions that set you up for growth and success because we really don’t even want you here in the first place anymore. Regardless of how I’ve viewed him on it the past few years, Hartnell seems like a really good and charismatic guy off the ice. Hope he burns the Flyers next spring.

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM

The Costanza situation?

• blackandorangeforlife - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM

” I think it’s just as bad when an organization throws a guy to the curb after giving him a NTC”…….Like all Pens fans are hoping happens to Letang?

• laxman1944 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Good move for both

Hartnell was not going to retire a Flyer just like all the others, like he said he has made a fortune (Thanks Mr. Snyder) wearing the orange

kicked to the curb…………with about 50 some odd million bucks to ease the pain………don’t cry for Hartnell he is a stand up guy and will have a great year with “Lumbus” (nice) . watched a good bit of them in the tournament and have become a bit of a fan.

And once a Flyer always a Flyer.

3. blue21c - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Sid the Squid better look out!!!!!

4. bleedrangerblue - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM

No words for this move. Can’t wait for the first jack – fly game.

• caspermilktoast - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM

How was that Eastern Conference Championship parade? LMAO!

5. bleedrangerblue - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Leave the penalty box door open for Hartnell that’s for sure….

6. bigwayne75 - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Flyers trade away a player that scored 52 points last season for a player that only scored 34. Last 4 seasons Hartnell scored 179 points to Umberger 149 points. Last 4 seasons, Hartnell 89 goals to Umberger 71. I am liking this trade already being a Rangers fan. Flyers lost points and toughness.

• flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Hartnell is better, but Umberger has better speed, contract and defensive game, all things the Flyers need to improve on, I wouldnt say its a good trade for Philly, but not necessarily a bad one taking everything into consideration

• sportsfan18 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

flyerspsu

You said this yourself sir… “I wouldn’t say its a good trade for Philly”

So WHY do it then?

Trades should NOT be done just because they are “not necessarily a bad one taking everything into consideration”.

• bildomatic - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I’ve heard a lot being made about the financials in this deal. Umberger’s cap hit is 4.6 vs Hartnell’s 4.75 so there really isn’t any difference there. The difference is in the term 3 years vs 5 years. Both guys are 32 so maybe the Flyers thought process is we think Hartnell can help today and maybe the next two years or so, but thinking about him at 35+ was a red flag.

• flyerspsu - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

sportsfan18 I wouldnt have, i was open 2 moving Hartnell, just for a better return than umberger and a 4th, but hey like i said it helped in some areas, especially cap flexibility down the road

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Do you think that Hartnell would have had those numbers playing without Giroux? We’ll see I guess. I call it the Kunitz phenomenom. We also lost stupid inopportune. penalties.

• flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Yeah cause he had those numbers with carter/lupol and briere/leino

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I guess I missed those 37 goals he scored with Leino, Lupol, Briere and Carter. Hartsy is .56 ppg vs. Umberger who is .54ppg. Not a huge difference there.

• goodolejr - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I’d take slightly less points for significantly less PIMs. Over those past 4 seasons, Umberger: 107 PIM, Hartnell: 451 PM. -7.5 points/season for significantly less shorthanded time is ideal on a team that’s the most penalized in the league.

• goodolejr - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM

And having said that, I’m not bashing Hartnell, he’s a great player. It was just time to go in a different direction and freeing up those 2 years is huge for the future.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:05 AM

There’s so much more to their games than point production. Hartnell brings some grit and experience to Columbus. Umberger doesn’t have the same offensive production but he’s a better skater and FAR FAR better defensively. Hartnell is a poor skater and that only gets worse. He had no clear spot in the lineup anymore. On the other hand, Umberger slots in well next to Couturier and Read. This move is about the future. Sure the Flyers are slightly worse now but they’ll be in better shape in 3 years. Both players fit better on their new clubs. Plus it’s not like Hartnell is some offensive wizard compared to Umberger… he scored 2 more goals. And he’s got about 300 more games on those unstable legs.

Don’t worry Rangers fan, we have plenty of toughness.

7. flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM

best of luck Hartnell, great guy and teammate

also who the hell was spreading that Hartnell asked for the trade, brilliant reporting there … I knew there was no way that was true

8. imleftcoast - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM

He’s going to go from ‘shocked and angry’ to ‘enthused and happy.’ I agree that this is a great trade for Columbus even if Hartnell can’t skate.

• flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

great trade for Columbus, an interesting one for Philly that could end of being real good in the future

9. bleedrangerblue - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Being a Ranger fan it didn’t matte if they had Hartnell and RJ. Rangers are better all the way around.

• flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM

ok

• moarjam - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Being a ranger fan, I wish you didn’t support the same team as me.

• malkamania71 - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Thanks for the insight! Totally relates to topic & discussion. 10/10

• kastout11 - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

One nice run with a hot goaltender and now the Rangers are worldbeaters.

• caspermilktoast - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

How many millions at your Eastern Conference Championship parade?

10. flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Hartnell on why he waived his NMC:

“You want to be somewhere where the team wants you and loves you,” he said.

Giroux on the trade:

“I heard a lot of rumors and stuff, but I just didn’t believe it. I mean, [Hartnell is] a good guy. He’s one of the best teammates I ever had. It’s a sad day. …

“He was almost the face of the Flyers. He was a fan favorite. Everywhere he went, he loved the city. I’m sure it’s a tough day for him to kind of put that behind him, but Columbus is going to be a good opportunity for him.”

“he’s a heart-and-soul kind of guy. You want him on your team. You hate playing against him. Like I said, Columbus is going to be a great fit for him. I don’t know. I don’t know what to say.
    “A little shocked.”

Damn, this whole thing is tough, gotta feel for Hartnell, there wasnt a player that cared about the team, fans or community more than him only 2 be pretty much asked to leave

11. 950003cups - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Hartnell was good. Philly is gonna miss him. When a time had to be set, Hartnell set it.

12. hockeyflow33 - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM

What am I missing with this trade? Hartnell seemed like a guy made for Philly and was a solid producer.

• flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Holmgren put together a flawed core with not enough speed or skill so something had to be done, Hartnell was one of those less skilled and quick guys and b/c of age, contract and having a cheaper, younger, version of him in Simmonds he was the odd man out, I expect Vinny to be moved shortly as well

• sizzle299 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Ok flyerpsu that makes sense- if they moved him for a prospect/picks. They traded him for a Hartnell-lite at the same cap hit. Yes fewer years, but not as productive, not as valuable at the deadline, and not as well liked in the city.

• flyerspsu - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:09 AM

i actually agree, i dont mind moving hartnell but the return was odd, specifically Umberger w/ his contract, but they did get faster and got rid of those last 2 yrs which is what Hextall said was the reasoning for the trade, but it definitely could/should have been a better return focused more on picks and prospects rather than bringing in someone like Umberger

13. bleedrangerblue - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I personally think he hurts Columbus. He’s a pretty boy seeking attention. He is not a force by any means. Slow skater does not fit the jackets style. They have a bum already in Horton. Now this… Yay from Ranger Nation.

14. elwaysmilehighdenver - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Having to move to scumbus will suck!

• sportsfan18 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Philadelphia is one of the MOST dangerous cities in the U.S.

Terribly messed up financially too…

• caspermilktoast - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Care to comment on how and why? Where is your proof?

15. crazemastercraze - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

If you go to Philly and sign a long term contract with a NTC, prepare to be “shocked” and traded after two seasons if you can’t single handedly deliver a championship.

16. ducksk - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Hextal is vicious, vindictive and is his own biggest fan. He is the one that needs to be parted ways with.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Seriously?? He JUST got the job. We all love Hartnell but gimme a break, he’s not Gretzky. His contract will be a major albatross in those final 2-3 years… we don’t need that here.

• coopjr - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

^Chris Chelios everybody!

17. obamareallysucks - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM

flyers suck

18. joewilliesshnoz - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I don’t think we’ll have to worry about which sweater he’ll wear at his induction into the Hall of Fame.

19. nflnhlrulznbasux - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Fall on the Ice All the Time Hall of Fame?

20. eagles512 - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I’m a Hartnell fan but everyone is missing the fact that he had FIVE years left on a big deal when he’s already showing some decline. Flyers finally have a guy in charge who looks at the future and not just the present. Umberger’s deal ends 2 years prior so you’re taking a slight short term downgrade for a lot of long term flexibility. Great move by Hextall.

21. sizzle299 - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Don’t like the trade, there’s something else going on is all I can say to rationalize. If the best argument is RJ’s shorter contract, then why not trade for someone with a lower cap hit, or even for picks. That would actually free up some space. Or why even do it this year if the cap is barely affected? What’s the rush. Hartnell is a fan favorite, a locker room guy and a stand up guy (off the ice). At least move him at the deadline for a better return and get him a shot at the prize. I like RJ but he’s not a good haul in exchange for Hartnell. Won’t produce the same numbers and carries a stiff cap hit for the next two years.Could be a 4th liner at 4.5 per. Why not let Columbus buy him out and sign him for half (he can have Vinny’s roster spot)? There’s a lot of questions and not enough answers, and as much as the posters on here make good arguments, something doesn’t feel right.

22. eagles512 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM

The reason he didn’t get more for hartnell is because other GMs aren’t dumb. No one was going to take him without dumping their own contract. So Hextall did the best he could. Can you imagine hartnell at that cap number in a year or 2?

23. hermanbates - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:34 AM

With the cap rising significantly in the next few years, neither of these deals will weigh too heavily on either team. As a Jackets fan, I’m thrilled the Jackets dropped Umberger and picked up Hartnell. Umberger doesn’t offer much anymore. Hos goals weren’t really good or hard fought goals, most of the work being done by everyone else. Whats more important, Umberger asked out after he was benched for ineffectiveness. It was annoying to watch it play out. All these players playing with their all every night, and Umberger visibly playing at a different tempo, slowing the team down. I’m thankful for all he’s done as a Jacket, but it’s time to move on.

I’m thrilled the Jackets have added a guy that works as hard as Hartnell. He’ll take penalties, but it’s because the guy plays with so much heart. He’s like Brandon Dubinsky in that facet of his game. Sure, those penalties can come at bad times, but give me a player who takes a bad penalty because he get’s too caught up in the moment than an apathetic player who can’t contribute much anyway any day of the week.

Along with the heart thing, the relative Corsi numbers on these guys are completely different. Hartnell is a + Corsi player, and has been for years. Umberger is mostly a minus player. This is a good, if not great deal for Columbus. RJ Umberger just isn’t that effective anymore, and Hartnell should be an effective player at least for the next two years, if not longer.

24. President Charles Logan - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM

lol not a good trade.. another former Flyer re-tread .. they never learn

25. cantescapekarma - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Question – I know Hartnell had a NMC that he waived in order to be moved to Columbus. My question is, now that he is playing for Columbus does he still have a NMC? Or could Columbus eventually trade him if they wanted to? Is the NMC that Philly gave him void now? (I would think so since he waived it, but I’m not sure)

26. pj608 - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Was a dumb move I think. You are gaining the same ability with two injury probe guys. Hartnell had chemistry with Simmons now you gotta start all over with that line. They gave up a draft pick and guess what… Their defense still sucks. Waste of a move in my book and so was resigning timonen. Flyers a dumb. Go Devs Go!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches