Jun 23, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
The sudden news of the Philadelphia Flyers dealing Scott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets for R.J. Umberger and a 2015 fourth-round pick was something that, according to Hartnell, had been building for a few days.
Ultimately Hartnell said on a conference call that he waived his no-trade clause to go to Columbus because the Flyers and GM Ron Hextall said they were ready to move on from him. Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shares the story.
“He decided it was best for me to move on from the Flyers,” Hartnell said. “To be honest, I was pretty shocked at first. I was upset and a little angry. I took a few days to look at the situation. It was hard.
“It was not easy. A lot of emotions. At the end of the day, I decided that Columbus is an up-and-coming team. They have young, great players. It was the right decision for me to go to a team that was very excited to have me.”
Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said Hartnell’s only question on going to Columbus was whether they were committed to winning as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shared.
“He said, ‘I want to win. I’m 32 years old. I’ve made a lot of money. I want to win.’ That’s basically the question I wanted to hear, the answer I wanted to get, that that’s why he’s coming here and that’s what he wants to do.”
The Jackets and Flyers being divisional rivals should help keep things lively. As it was, the Flyers finished one point ahead of the Jackets last season. They’ll face each other five times in 2014-15.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 0
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 42
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)