Jun 23, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
The sudden news of the Philadelphia Flyers dealing Scott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets for R.J. Umberger and a 2015 fourth-round pick was something that, according to Hartnell, had been building for a few days.
Ultimately Hartnell said on a conference call that he waived his no-trade clause to go to Columbus because the Flyers and GM Ron Hextall said they were ready to move on from him. Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shares the story.
“He decided it was best for me to move on from the Flyers,” Hartnell said. “To be honest, I was pretty shocked at first. I was upset and a little angry. I took a few days to look at the situation. It was hard.
“It was not easy. A lot of emotions. At the end of the day, I decided that Columbus is an up-and-coming team. They have young, great players. It was the right decision for me to go to a team that was very excited to have me.”
Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said Hartnell’s only question on going to Columbus was whether they were committed to winning as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shared.
“He said, ‘I want to win. I’m 32 years old. I’ve made a lot of money. I want to win.’ That’s basically the question I wanted to hear, the answer I wanted to get, that that’s why he’s coming here and that’s what he wants to do.”
The Jackets and Flyers being divisional rivals should help keep things lively. As it was, the Flyers finished one point ahead of the Jackets last season. They’ll face each other five times in 2014-15.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 37
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 26
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)