Jun 23, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are in a difficult position when it comes to Marian Gaborik. They clearly would like to bring him back after acquiring him at the trade deadline sparked their offense and he proved to be one of their most effective players in the 2014 playoffs, but they are limited by their proximity to the salary cap ceiling.
They have reportedly offered him a three-year, $15 million contract, which would be a pay cut for Gaborik and probably less than he would make on the open market. So the question is if Gaborik would be willing to take less to stay with a team he just won the Stanley Cup with.
In that regard, a recent statement by Marian Gaborik’s agent, Ron Salcer, should give Kings fans some hope.
“I think Marian enjoyed, not just the time here, but everything about the experience,” Salcer told the Los Angeles Times. “I think to continue that is something he would like and the team would like. So I would hope we could come to a meeting of the minds and get that done.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 13
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 9
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 52
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (52)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (41)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)