Jun 23, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall has made his first major move since his promotion by shipping Scott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for R.J. Umberger and a 2015 fourth-round pick, per the Flyers’ website.
The Flyers are losing a forward that brings a blend of skill and grit to the table in the 32-year-old Hartnell, but they’re also putting themselves in a bit of a better position from a cap perspective. Hartnell comes with a $4.75 million cap hit through 2018-19 while Umberger’s five-year, $23 million contract will be over in the summer of 2017.
“(Hartnell) is a talented, tough, hard-working player who brings valuable experience and leadership on and off the ice,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. “We believe he will fit in very well with our group and be an important part of our team moving forward.”
Umberger, also 32, is coming off of a poor season where he scored just 18 goals and 34 points in 74 games. Not counting the shortened season, that’s the worst he’s done since his first stint with the Flyers. Hartnell bounced back from a rough, injury-riddled 2013 season by scoring 20 goals and 52 points in 2013-14.
Umberger’s not quite as physical as Hartnell is, but he’s a more disciplined player, having never logged more than 53 minutes in the sin bin in a single season. By comparison Hartnell has spent at least 100 minutes in the penalty box in each of his last six 82-game campaigns.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)