Jun 23, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall has made his first major move since his promotion by shipping Scott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for R.J. Umberger and a 2015 fourth-round pick, per the Flyers’ website.
The Flyers are losing a forward that brings a blend of skill and grit to the table in the 32-year-old Hartnell, but they’re also putting themselves in a bit of a better position from a cap perspective. Hartnell comes with a $4.75 million cap hit through 2018-19 while Umberger’s five-year, $23 million contract will be over in the summer of 2017.
“(Hartnell) is a talented, tough, hard-working player who brings valuable experience and leadership on and off the ice,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. “We believe he will fit in very well with our group and be an important part of our team moving forward.”
Umberger, also 32, is coming off of a poor season where he scored just 18 goals and 34 points in 74 games. Not counting the shortened season, that’s the worst he’s done since his first stint with the Flyers. Hartnell bounced back from a rough, injury-riddled 2013 season by scoring 20 goals and 52 points in 2013-14.
Umberger’s not quite as physical as Hartnell is, but he’s a more disciplined player, having never logged more than 53 minutes in the sin bin in a single season. By comparison Hartnell has spent at least 100 minutes in the penalty box in each of his last six 82-game campaigns.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)