Flyers trade Hartnell to Columbus for Umberger, fourth-round pick

Jun 23, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

scotthartnellsologetty Getty Images

Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall has made his first major move since his promotion by shipping Scott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for R.J. Umberger and a 2015 fourth-round pick, per the Flyers’ website.

The Flyers are losing a forward that brings a blend of skill and grit to the table in the 32-year-old Hartnell, but they’re also putting themselves in a bit of a better position from a cap perspective. Hartnell comes with a $4.75 million cap hit through 2018-19 while Umberger’s five-year, $23 million contract will be over in the summer of 2017.

“(Hartnell) is a talented, tough, hard-working player who brings valuable experience and leadership on and off the ice,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. “We believe he will fit in very well with our group and be an important part of our team moving forward.”

Umberger, also 32, is coming off of a poor season where he scored just 18 goals and 34 points in 74 games. Not counting the shortened season, that’s the worst he’s done since his first stint with the Flyers. Hartnell bounced back from a rough, injury-riddled 2013 season by scoring 20 goals and 52 points in 2013-14.

Umberger’s not quite as physical as Hartnell is, but he’s a more disciplined player, having never logged more than 53 minutes in the sin bin in a single season. By comparison Hartnell has spent at least 100 minutes in the penalty box in each of his last six 82-game campaigns.

125 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. lowenni - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I was really surprised when I got the notification for this on my phone. I can’t really figure this out, an Umberger for Hartnell swap seems a little lopsided in Columbus’ favor even if he’s slowing down (as is Umberger). I like Umberger a lot but he wasn’t great this season, and Hartnell can still put the puck in the net I think. The fourth round pick isn’t much incentive, I just don’t really get this move for the Flyers. That is–I get moving Hartnell, just not for Umberger.

• Meta - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I completely agree. Am I missing something here? The cap situation helps…but not that much, IMO. The discipline helps also, i guess, but why trade a guy who can still produce and a relatively solid level for a guy who is clearly entering the twilight of his career? The 4th rounder is a moot point as well. idk what to make of this. maybe im losing my mind.

• bdawk20 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

The article isn’t written all that well to explain it. Umberger’s contract expires 2 seasons before Hartnell’s, so this is a big cap benefit for the Flyers.

• withseidelinn - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I would have imagined this as a primer for a bigger trade until I saw how close the cap hits were. Good addition for CBJ, as they need a player like that who can still contribute and provide leadership. Philly………. not sure why they took Umberger for so little.

• lowenni - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I guess I understand it from a cap perspective, but I think the Flyers could’ve kept Hartnell on for this season if they want to make it a playoff push and then someone would take him next summer I’m sure. Physical forwards can always garner a return, even if they’re slowing down, just like Ryan Clowe did when he hadn’t even scored a single goal for the Sharks last season. The Flyers could’ve kept Hartnell for this season and then moved him after for someone perhaps younger than Umberger, or a higher pick.

• flyeredup202 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM

This is Hexy clearing long term cap room for future moves, this isn’t the end…. There are more moves coming he is going to make this team his and allot of the older guys are going to moved to help the Chief create a his culture in the locker room and on the Ice. Hartsy was more of a goon the playoffs then a winger. He took lots of dumb penalties at times when we needed him to play skilled. While I don’t understand why Umberger was the best he could do I do like the move.

• Meta - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I completely agree. Am I missing something here? The cap situation helps…but not that much, IMO. The discipline helps also, i guess, but why trade a guy who can still produce and a relatively solid level for a guy who is clearly entering the twilight of his career? The 4th rounder is a moot point as well. idk what to make of this. maybe I’m losing my mind.

• ibieiniid - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM

not verified whatsoever, but there’s talk now that Hartnell ASKED for the trade. that makes just as little sense, but the rumor is out there. take it as you will.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I thought the same thing… why Hextall? It’s like we traded for the poor mans Hartnell but in some ways it makes sense. First, obviously, the contract. It frees the Flyers a tiny bit of cap space while also relieving them of two years… two years that are probably going to be pretty unproductive for Hartnell. It’s about the future. Also, Hartnell showed during the playoffs that he really doesn’t fit on any of the lines. He’s too slow and sloppy to play on the two-way line with Couturier and Read. And not nearly creative enough to survive another season next to Giroux and Voracek. Umberger, while a little less potent offensively, is far better in his own end and can slot in on the 3rd line. He’s obviously not faster than #19 but if he’s lagging behind atleast he’ll be some help in his own zone. And in the leadership department, it’s a clear draw.

Overall, it’s essentially a lateral move for the Flyers that’s really about the future. I love Hartnell, one of my favorite Flyers of all-time, but his stock his trending down. It’s not as if Umberger’s is up, but like I said, he’ll be gone sooner. It’s a bit of a head scratcher but when you really examine it it’s not that bad for Philly.

• ibieiniid - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I think this is Hextall doing whatever he can to free himself from some of Holmgren’s chains. I dig the move just for the sake of the near future. If they’re gonna go out and get a complimentary star for the left side of G’s line, this will help tremendously.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I think phillyphanatic hit the nail on the head in regards to line placement. I’d imagine Phi wants lines that are more set in stone so players can start to get in a groove due to consistency.

• flyeredup202 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Maybe this was to help satisfy G, this way if they do go out and get a top 6 guy there isnt any…. I want hartnell on my line type of thing….

• c9castine - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM

thats really all that happened here was eliminating those last two years. umberger is a grade level below hartnell but still a solid player and you get that draft pick thrown in.

it was a smart move even if its not sexy.

• flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

There must be another trade coming…..

• neonpep - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Hartnell down!

• tdrusher225 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM

It’s good in the sense that the Flyers get cap relief in the future and considering that Hartnell is signed for another 5 years, he probably isn’t going to be playing at a high level by the end of the contract. So maybe they avoid an eventual buyout or being forced to trade him for even less than this. Umberger and a 4th isn’t great, but it’s a decent return and it gives the team 2 extra years of cap flexibility.

2. billiam55 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM

good trade or bad trade?

• caniac4ever - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Good for Columbus. I really don’t understand this one. I get that Philly will save some money, but jeez. You don’t trade a scrappy player that can score in Hartnell, to a hard working, up and coming Columbus team that’s in your division. Columbus just got even tougher to play against.

• Meta - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Excellent point, I still forget that Columbus is in the East now. As a Flyers fan, I understand the cap hit stuff and the whole future-oriented approach but this still doesnt look like a savvy move to me.

3. storminator16 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM

This trade is a wash. Flyers save a bit on the cap hit while Hartnell can go mentor players who play his style of game.

With that said, the Flyers buying out Umberger would be easier on the wallet than buying out Hartnell. I’m just taking a stab in the dark here.

• erbaker67 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I dont think they can buy out anybody (Briere and Bryz).

• storminator16 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM

They can’t use another compliance buy-out but they can still buy players out.

4. girouxsalem89 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM

The positives for Philly:

2 years less of a god awful contract.
    Opens up top line spot for Wayne Simmonds
    No longer have to watch Hartnell fall down constantly.
    Extra Pick

The negatives for Philly:

As of Today, Hartnell is a much better player in that Umberger seems to of aged much worse.
    Not a big enough cap reduction/haul in return for a player of Hartnell’s caliber.
    No longer get to watch Hartnell fall down constantly.

The only thing I can think of is his contract SEVERELY diminished his value.

• flyeredup202 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Was it Umberger aged worse then Hartnell or just didn’t get great opportunities on a poor playing team…. Until last year that is.

• girouxsalem89 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Lets hope the latter.

5. broadstreetsbaddest88 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I don’t get this trade at all. Rather have hartnell even if he was dwindling. I’m hoping Columbus takes some cap hit or this is a move to acquire something bigger. I’m definitely don’t like the fact that he’s goin to a divisional rival an have to see him 5-6 times a year on a up an coming team. Columbus just got better. Great leader too. Gonna miss him alot. I always like umberger

• narfmoo12 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Hartnell had 2 more goals in 4 extra games, all while being on Giroux’s line and the top PP unity. He also takes a ton of dumb penalties. And Umberger is signed for 2 less years. Seems like a win.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I would of rather traded him for picks or prospect an filled the void within or free agency. I think the flyers could of got a nice return on him if they stuck him on the trading block unless that’s what Hextall already did. It’s tough to imagine what we could of got for him though, any team would love to have him on theirs. I’d imagine Hextall knows more then us though an this was his best option which is kinda hard to believe though

• narfmoo12 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Declining, undisciplined players signed for $4.75M/year through 2018-19 don’t really command all that much, especially considering he doesn’t kill penalties or play much defense.

6. runhigh24 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Simply a swapping of bad contracts with Columbus getting the better player right now and in return they assume the longer term. Some long term cap planning by the Flyers. Maybe Hextall really is turning over a new leaf in Philly?

7. deathbat20 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Umberger can play center, would not be shocked if this is a prelude for a Vinny or Schenn trade

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Maybe Vinny… it doesn’t seem like Hextall’s style, based on this “for the future” move, to get rid of a 22-year old on the upswing and keep another 32+ year old with a long term. For me this move doesn’t relate to Lecavalier or Schenn, it’s simply about 3 years from now when Hartnell will be disgustingly slow and trending far downward. Some forward thinking by the Flyers… I can’t believe it.

• ibieiniid - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I was thinking about that. There’s talk of the Flyers wanting to move up in the draft (to possibly snag Ekblad even). If they could work a deal to send the Schenn rights and Vinny to Florida, they could make a move for Matt Moulson and be more comfortable fitting him under the cap for the extra two seasons of Hartnell’s deal.

• thefutureofoil - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Kings fan here. As much as the Kings talked up Schenn before the Richards trade, there were rumors of some in the front office thinking less of him. Maybe you are right about this foreshadowing a trade and Hextall was one of them.

8. bowman20 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Can’t buy him out. No more left. I think this trade was more to dump Hartnel than to pick up RJ. Think the pressure that was on him in Columbus will be off RJs shoulders. Could do well on 2 or 3 line. Idk. Still scratching my head.

• storminator16 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

There are two types of buyouts:
      * Compliance buy-outs: Are mulligans for GMs to get out of bad contracts they signed without a cap penalty. Each team were given 2 from the last CBA deal and can do this during the buy-out periods before/after a season until (? – can’t remember if they only had 2 seasons to do this or not).
      * Regular buy-outs: Are mulligans for GMs to get out of bad contracts they signed but will have a cap penalty assessed. Each team can do this as many time as they want during the buy-out periods that occur before/after a season.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Maybe there is another trade where a team said “well, we can’t take on a contract of that size for that long, how about a shorter contract for less money?”

9. buddysguys - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

everytime i see Umberger i picture him laying on the ice out cold from Campbell’s hit….that was nasty.

• bullwinkle88 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM

One of the best hits in NHL history. I still remember it too.

10. kastout11 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM

As soon as I heard Columbus was planning on using a compliance buyout on Umberger, I figured he would be coming to Philadelphia. Apparently, Columbus did not buy him out, so why did the Flyers trade Hartnell for him instead of just waiting until Columbus bought him out. After the buyout, I figured the Flyers would sign him for a lot less than they will be paying him now.

11. arb927 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM

On paper this looks like a fair trade but hartnell really was huge in the locker room and all the players loved him… Hate to see him go

• nunan - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM

My impression was that Hartnell played a big role on the Flyers. I sort of associated the flyers with him. Seems like an odd trade. It doesn’t save them that much money and they also lose one of their biggest role players…those guys have real value. This would have made more sense to me if it were someone else going to CBJ. Maybe I am just underestimating Umberger…

• flylikearaven88 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM

He got healthy scratched for Columbus this year in the playoffs.

• narfmoo12 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Hartnell scored 2 more goals in 4 more games, and got to play with Giroux. He also had 77 more penalty minutes.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Umberger is a locker room guy as well and he knows Philadelphia… it’s not a huge loss there. Hartnell was one of my favorites but they had to move his contract while they could and his playoff “performance” probably hurt his stock even more. With G, Timonen, Simmonds, and Streit the Flyers are fine in the leadership dept. Umberger wore an “A” for a reason.

12. pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Damn Hartnell was my most hated Flyer. Now it’s a draw between Giroux & Simmonds.

• flyerspsu - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM

cool

13. phillyinknoxville - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I’ve always loved Hartsy but, like the article mentions, he spends WAY too much time in the box. I totally get that this is a move with the aim of having more financial flexibility, but trading your super popular assistant captain isn’t going to make Hex’s first move a popular one. There better be a corresponding move that overshadows this one, like trading Vinny’s terrible contract.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Maybe making a brash move will earn respect amongst the remaining players and ignite a sort of “well, if they moved him” type attitude. Bottom line is it is a business.

14. savior72 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I guess telling him to stop spending so much time in the box didn’t work.

15. mshantz22 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM

This honestly seems like one of the usual bone-headed moves Holmgren would make.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM

No Homer would take back another aging vet with MORE term.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I’d say wait until at least after the draft.

• har21441 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM

At least we can presume Hextall will provide the same level of entertainment that Holmgren brought to the GM job

16. blue21c - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Love it!!! He’ll fit right in with the lunch pailers in Columbus!!!!!

17. petersteelewannabe - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I have to believe this was done strictly because of the shorter years of RJ’s contract. They are both over-paid at this point in their careers. Hartnell, though frustrating at times with stupid penalties, also was hard worker (most of the time) and scored or set-up key goals many times in the past (as well as being a nice option for G on the PP). He also seemed like a great guy off the ice so I wish him well in Columbus…and welcome back Umberger.

18. statsdolie - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Hartnell is also an atrocious skater not sure if its a wash with umberger or not but the flyers team skating needs to be improved. Hartnell is also prone to dumb penalties and conditioning has been an issue with him in the past. Just hope sheena parveen stays in Philly.

19. terrier92 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Nice move by Columbus. I am bruins guy but Hartnell is a scrappy grinder. Always liked him

20. whammy71 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Looks like the band of misfit gingers is getting busted up. I wonder how Claudia is handling the bad news.

• blackandorangeforlife - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Im sure G is handling much better then Marion and his coaching search!

• theageofquarrel - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Who is Marion?

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Did the pens win the cup this year ?

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Have you ever seen the Flyers win the Cup?

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Two Times

• petersteelewannabe - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM

He is so upset he quit and applied for the Penguins head coaching position…

21. flylikearaven88 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Fun Fact:

Mike Richards.
    Jeff Carter.
    James van Riemsdyk.
    Scott Hartnell.

All traded on June 23.

• petersteelewannabe - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM

The day isn’t over yet…I almost expect to hear a second, more surprising, trade was completed as well.

• flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I’m hearing 2 different rumors but not sure if they have any truth to them

22. eagles512 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

The fact that Hartnell had 5 years left shows how undisciplined Holmgren was with contracts. This is a minor downgrade now but will benefit the flyers down the road.

• mcphillthy - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I agree. Plus I think it sends a message to the other guys that playing undisciplined hockey is over. I am so glad to see harts penalized, falling, freckled ginger butt gone!! Hexy is cleaning up homer’s messes. That’s all this is. As much as everyone likes harts you have to accept that he isn’t reliable, he takes WAY too many dumb penalties, he doesn’t offer anything defensively or special teams wise either. You can’t win hockey games if you are constantly short handed. I see hexy’s message and I support this.

23. blackandorangeforlife - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I wonder why Hartsy accepted this trade…..He did have a full NMC

• bullwinkle88 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Exactly the point I was going to make. Obviously he didn’t like Philly management.

24. jberd08 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I like it. I’ve been wanting to get rid of Hartnell for years. We have a ton of older guys on the team to help with leadership. I don’t think that’s really lacking. What we’re getting rid of is a guy who can’t support a puck, can’t skate, takes stupid penalties, and plays poorly in his own end. I would have liked to get something better for him, or at least get some more room against the cap, but we could have done worse than RJ. What I like the most, and what some other people have mentioned here, is that this is a forward-thinking move. We’ll be out of Holmgren’s mess 2 years sooner. And for that, I really like the move. I’m hoping the mentality of “we’re just one or two more players away from cup contenders” that we’ve had since… forever, is finally gone and a strong team retooling happens. Not rebuilding, where everyone goes. Just a retooling where we can shed some skin.

• mcphillthy - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

^ this is the best, most accurate answer I have heard anyone say today! I said something similar a few comments above bit yours sounded much better!
      And man! Doesn’t it feel so good to know harts is finally gone?! I’ve waited years for this

25. 2qswing - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

AND June 23rd is not over yet!

26. flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Best of luck except against us scotty. Guess another move is coming

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Why must there be another move coming immediately? This doesn’t clear much money, it’s simply about replacing one bad contract with one that’s a little less abrasive. This is the Flyers time of year (unfortunately)but that doesn’t mean a secondary HAS to happen just bc Hartnell was traded. This is a clear indication that it’s finally about the future in Philly.

• flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

You don’t move a player thats been productive for your team on and off the ice(to a division rival)* for a 3rd/4th liner other than clearing cap space for another move

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Don’t you see? Hartnell has become a 3rd liner himself, unfortunately he’s too terrible defensively to play that role. I can’t argue with the fact that he has BEEN productive but that guarantees nothing in the future, especially for a player who’s game is based on the physical side of the sport. He’s only going to get worse and Columbus will have him until he’s 37… 37. Think about how slow the 32-year old Hartnell is and add 5 years of constant wear and tear. It’s not a pretty picture. The guy is going to be in the 18-20 goal for the next few years but he’s not the same guy who put up 37 (next to Jagr and Giroux).

Umberger is also on the downward trend, that is a fact, but he is actually a 3rd liner that can play a 3rd line role. He is a two-way player who fits with the style of Read and Couturier. He can kill penalties, is slightly better on his skates, and will provide almost the same offensive numbers. Hartnell only averages .2 more points in his career and scored just 2 more goals while playing with G and Voracek.

As to your point… how can it be a cap clearing move when it only opened up a few hundred K??

• blackandorangeforlife - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I didnt see where he used the word immediately….But he is right in that another move will be coming……they still have too many centers…..Vinny as 4th line center wont continue nor will you see Schenn, Coots or G demoted to that line….$4.5 mill for a 4th liner?

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM

He didn’t use the word immediately but you can see he meant that in calling this a cap clearing trade. Meaning he thinks this deal will open up space for another, which is technically accurate but not what it is. I don’t disagree at all that the Flyers will make another deal (this is their time of year), but it will have no relation to this move. This move is simply about 3 years from now. A few hundred K does almost nothing for another deal. We’re talking semantics here but basically what I meant is that it’s not the precursor to another. There will be others but not bc of this. For example, trading Carter and Richards opened up the space for Bryzgalov. Trading Hartnell does next to nothing for the next move Hextall makes. That’s what I’m saying.

• flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Nobody is expecting umberger to play on the first line. So who do you put with giroux and voracek?

27. laxman1944 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Not too shabby

Hartnell will have a big year in Columbus and will be a real good fit in the room I would imagine……Wish him nothing but the best.

Umberger will be a nice safe fit and not make too many mistakes……….Welcome home RJ we left a light on for ya.

28. deathbyspl - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM

so…does this mean Hartnell will be going to LA at the trade deadline this season?

29. goodolejr - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM

This has to be part of something bigger. 2 years less of that contract makes sense when you look at their ages, but that can’t be it. There have been rumors linking the Flyers and EDM for awhile and they were apparently interested in Umberger (possibly didn’t want to waive his NTC to go there?) I don’t know, I just can’t see this being just another trade. It’s gotta be the start of SOMETHING.

• blackandorangeforlife - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Yup!

30. flyeredup - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Absolutely a clueless move by Hexy.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Sorry but you’re wrong. It’s not an excellent or exciting move, but it was the right one. I’ve explained this above but think about it… Hartnell needed to be moved before his contract became a complete albatross. He’s the better player but he’ll never come close to his 37-goal season, he’s just gonna get worse. This frees us of two years that would probably be unbearable. The guy is slow, falls down all the time, takes terrible penalties, and doesn’t slot in anywhere. He’s just not quick or good enough to play with G and Voracek, doesn’t bring enough variation to the 2nd, can’t play D with the 3rd, and they’re not gonna have two $5 million players on the 4th. He has no spot in Philly. He can go to Columbus and slide into their top-6 and play that grinding style. Umberger is far better defensively so he slots in as the 3rd line wing. He scored two less goals than Hartnell without the benefit of playing next to two all-star caliber players. So it’s not a huge offensive difference. He just fits the Flyers better going forward.

Obviously both are on the decline but that’s why Hextall went for the guy with less term… that’s the most important aspect. Most likely we’ll look back at this in 3-5 years (while Hartnell is still falling down) and say thank god we made this move. It will open up $5 million for the young guys or a potential free agent that wouldn’t have fit with #19 still around. It’s forward thinking.

• goodolejr - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Apparently Hartnell requested the trade. Changes the entire complexion of the deal.

31. chrisk61 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:50 PM

hartnell was more sizzle than steak. more of an agitator than a good hockey player. wasn’t worth his salary.

the play that sums up hartnell was when he threw his glove at the puck during an opponent’s breakaway. the biggest stupid play in a career of many stupid plays. flyers wanted hartnell to play in the crease, get rebounds, like tim kerr and knuble. but he isn’t physical enough.

when umberger was with flyers, he was the penguin killer. not that that is needed anymore…

32. jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Not sure how you can view this as CBJ win if anything even. Flyers get rid of a no trade contract, a contract with two more years on it, no to mention rid themselves of a player whos middle name is mental mistake, gets majority of his points on power play. Umberger surely not much better however shorter contract, much better skater, much better on pk. Solid start to Hexy era.

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM

All this hartnell love makes me laugh wake up flyers fans ie flyeredup clueless move by Hexy.? Hartnell the man tough loss great off ice guy he won’t be missed as hockey player.

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Even further help this isn’t Columbus win hartnell avg 56 ppg umberger 54 only 2 point difference and hartnell has played majority wt giroux

33. broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I always liked Hartnell good player and great team guy, but the differences between him and RJ are marginal. Hartnell is .56 while Umberger is .54 and Umberger didn’t have the luxury of playing on Giroux’s line. Umberger is way more versatile when it comes to positioning and plays a better two way game. Factor in the fact that he’s more disciplined and not prone to Hartnell’s god awful, ill timed penalties and also has a better cap hit with a shorter term, this trade works out well for both teams. Also gives a chance for Simmonds to move up to the top line. Only drawback is that he got traded to a team we pal about 5-6 times a year.

34. kastout11 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I thought I read about a month ago that Columbus was going to use a compliance buyout on Umberger. If that is/was the case, why did the Flyers trade for him. Why not wait until the buyout, then sign him, unless they really wanted to get the Hartnell contract off the books.

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Not enough cap space for both and flyers out of buyouts

35. rsmaggiemae - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Living in Minn I dont get to see Hartnell all that much, but I had imagined him in the Philly colors until almost his retirement… I just cant imagine him in Columbus at all.
    Some of you are against the trade and some for it …
    Is it really just a even up trade???

• phillyphanatic77 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I think Hartnell will always be remembered as a Flyer. He played the prime of his career here and was part of some exciting runs, but his contract was too much for a player who does too little (anymore). Power forwards don’t usually age very well and he’s headed downward. It’s sad to see him go but to me it’s an even deal. It’s all about the future, which is nice.

36. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM

And the blind Flyers fans continue to drink the kool aide thats been served for 40 years…Hextall ANOTHER former Flyer, Gorde Murphy ANOTHER former Flyer, and now Umberger ANOTHER former Flyer….This franchise will not win until Snyder goes away.

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Root for someone else this fan base won’t miss you or you unintelligent misinformed post

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM

and yet you stopped to comment…thanks for not missing me

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Btw former flyers seem to be doing ok in la

• theageofquarrel - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM

That’s because they left Philly

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM

So for someone who “isn’t going to miss me or my unintelligent post” you not only stopped once to comment, but TWICE? Dude, you make as much sense as the Flyers front office!!!! I look forward to you not missing me for a third time when you comment.

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

@theageof–they sure did leave philly but point is these same assanine stupid lacking knowledge people that some people call management of flyers still drafted these guys and have eye for talent. Hartnell for umberger is a wash hexatall just trying to rid himself of bad contracts, and if some flyers fans want to act like children about so be it they just look dumb. Have they made mistakes sure all have have flyers made more sure I’ll even give you that hexatall just got job give me break.he didn’t trade giroux for raj he traded a guy that years ends falls more than he has shots.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Dude do you ever vary it up at all? Kool aid, 40 years, etc etc. at least put a little diversity in your Flyer bashing. The franchise won twice under Mr. Snider (not Snyder) and made 6 more finals appearances.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Dude, don’t you have a Flyers jersey to go buy or pay on your season ticket plan? The problem is fans like you that accept all this “tough guy once a Flyer always a Flyer” theory (see your screen name as perfect example) You are blind and continue to throw stats like (we won 40 years ago and went to the cup 6x’s) It’s cool, you continue to throw your money into it and cheer all the fights that occur and ALMOST WINNING instead of demanding a winner.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Already have my jerseys and tickets. Fans like me demand a winning team and thats what they try to do every year. This organization has put competitive teams on the ice year after year. Sure we’ve come up short for almost forty years and some seasons we’ve downright sucked, but unlike some franchises we’ve never purposely tanked to get high draft picks and blow up their teams on a year to year basis.

You go on and keep being a crying little whiner, and I’ll go on supporting my team. We real Flyers fans throw out stats because unlike your banter they are actual facts. 8 times in the post expansion era, that is competitive. Oh and unlike you, I have seen the Flyers win a cup in my life.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM

So if you’ve seen a cup in your life that puts you at about 50? Pathetic that you’re blogging at that age. But like I said, you are the problem. “penguins don’t have real fans like philadelphia” but they have CUPS…..”penguins tanked to get good players” but they have CUPS……”penguins went bankrupt” but they have CUPS….It’s cool though…keep throwing your money at the franchise. Maybe you’ll get Renberg or LeClair back as a bench coach..that’ll make a difference

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Easy their Nancy, Penguins have ONE more cup than the Flyers. Oh and I’m not 50 nor am I a blogger, but I guess thats too much for a dunce such as yourself to comprehend. Just as a side note, who exactly is your team?

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I’m a Flyers fan, just not a brainwashed one who doesn’t sit back and accepts all the nonsense they do over and over and over and over….My shift ends at 9 (I like to get paid while being the internet) so we can continue this Wed.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Yeah Ok, “Flyers fan” have fun on your shift.

37. jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:18 PM

It’s a chat

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Third!!!!

38. tonys4 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM

People talking as if Hartnell is an over-the-hill player. He has a better contract because he’s a better player! Last 2 full seasons he has 52 and 67 points in the latter 37 goals. Umberger in those 2 seasons 34 and 40 points, 20 goals is his max.

Add the edge Hartnell brings in PIMs, not always bad btw. I mean you can’t compare these 2 players. You can argue Hartnell is still in his prime and Umberger was one GM’s bad decision (hextall) from being out of a job with the buyout!!

Awful, awful trade, unless there’s another move or Hartnell messed around with Hextall’s wife, there is absolutely no justification for this trade, even when considering the 2 extra years the flyers are saving.

• jbink2585 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Put umberger on line with giroux like hartnell had, he’ll put up same numbers. Rj better on pk better skater and the best doesn’t have no trade he can’t hold flyers hostage solid first move hex got rid of bad deal and homers infamous no trade clauses

• flyboystransport - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM

R.J. can’t open space like Hartnell can.

39. rupp246 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Good trade for Columbus, mixing experience with youth. Blue jackets could be a team to reckon with next year.

40. zinger92 - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I’m a happy flyers fan today. Hartnell’s stats are only good because he played on the giroux line, and in many ways, slowed girioux down. umbergers contract is shorter and will make space to sign some young defensemen we have in the farm system. hextall gets an A+

41. chaseutley - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Now trade both Schenns and Vinny to Florida for Ekblad.

42. joeman26 - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I could see the Flyers signing S. Thornton on a 1 or 2 year deal

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Just what then need ANOTHER fighter

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

If you can see that get new glasses

43. jimw81 - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

this is a pit stop for hartsey before he reunites with cartsey and richie and blows up the kings.

44. bigwayne75 - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Flyers trade away a player that scored 52 points last season for a player that only scored 34. Last 4 seasons Hartnell scored 179 points to Umberger 149 points. Last 4 seasons, Hartnell 89 goals to Umberger 71. I am liking this trade already being a Rangers fan. Flyers lost points and toughness.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches