Jun 23, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils exercised the first of their two compliance buyouts last summer when they parted ways with goaltender Johan Hedberg, but it looks like Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is content to let the second buyout expire.
“It’s unlikely,” Lamoriello told the Star-Ledger, regarding the possibility of buying out a player. “No decisions have been made yet. We still have time on our side, but it’s unlikely.”
If the Devils were to use it, it would likely be to get out of the final two seasons of defenseman Anton Volchenkov‘s six-year, $25.5 million contract. The defensive defenseman has seen his role with New Jersey reduced in recent years to the point where he averaged just 16:47 minutes per game in 2013-14.
The Devils have roughly $59.3 million in cap space committed to 17 players next season, per Cap Geek, and don’t have any costly free agents to re-sign, so they can afford to keep Volchenkov.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)