Jun 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
The hockey world waits. What will happen with Vancouver Canucks center Ryan Kesler in the days and hours leading up to the NHL Draft? Will he be moved? Will he stay in Vancouver?
It was a topic of conversation Monday, even as the Canucks introduced Willie Desjardins as the club’s 18th head coach in franchise history. At 29 years of age, Kesler has a no-trade clause in his six-year, $30 million contract with an annual cap hit of $5 million.
Based on the numerous reports, there are between two to six teams that he’s reportedly willing to waive that no-trade clause to go to. As of Monday, it appeared there were three teams – Anaheim, Chicago and Pittsburgh – he’d be willing to get dealt to.
The first round of the draft goes Friday. The Canucks appear to be in no hurry to resolve this situation before the draft.
“We’ll work with Ryan. As I’ve said before, Ryan’s a tremendous player, he’s got the assets that we want to have on this team,” said Vancouver’s president of hockey operations Trevor Linden.
“There’s absolutely no timetable there.”
Kesler’s name has been linked to trade speculation since February. While he denied reports back then that he requested a trade out of Vancouver, however in June, it was reported that even with a change in management, Kesler still wants to move on from the Canucks.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)