Jun 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Talks between Ryan Callahan and the Tampa Bay Lightning are getting a bit trickier as time ticks away towards July 1.
Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, tells Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times negotiations with the team are tightening up as time whittles away towards his client becoming an unrestricted free agent.
“It’s at a critical stage where we have to find a way to close the gap,” Bartlett said.
Bartlett added that the door between the two sides won’t be closed and that even if talks go past July 1 the Lightning will have a shot at re-signing the 29-year-old forward.
That said, things get dicier starting on Wednesday when other teams can start talking with potential free agents. As for the Lightning, Callahan likes where the team is at and is headed, but unless a deal can get worked out that might not mean quite so much.
Callahan reportedly sought a seven-year, $42 million deal from the New York Rangers but reportedly brought those demands down before he was traded to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis. He had 17 goals and 36 points in 65 games with the Rangers and Lightning last season.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)