Jun 23, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli held a pre-draft conference call today, but not many of the questions he was asked had to do with the actual draft.
Instead, reporters were curious about the Bruins’ tight cap situation, which due to bonus overages from last season will, according to Chiarelli, keep the B’s from going “full force” into free agency, and will also compel the club to make some tough decisions.
Chiarelli didn’t rule out moving contracts to open up cap space, which won’t quell the speculation that, say, Johnny Boychuk could be traded.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)