Jun 23, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are going a different direction when it comes to a back-up goalie. The club announced it signed Niklas Svedberg to a one-year, one-way contract worth a cap hit of $600,000.
Svedberg, 24, made one appearance this past season for the Bruins, winning his only game, allowing two goals on 35 shots against the Nashville Predators.
“He’s a good competitor,” Bruins Head Coach Claude Julien said back on Jan. 2. “I think he’s improved over the course of the year with his experience. Earlier on, when I first saw him, when he first came, he had to make some adjustments to his game because of how they played in Europe versus here.”
“From there on in, I think he just kept getting better and better.”
This also appears to be the end of Chad Johnson‘s time with the Bruins. He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent, after making $600,000 – the same as his cap hit – this past season.
“It’s unfortunate for me because I loved everything about Boston and the Bruins,” Johnson told Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
“With how tight the cap is in Boston … as well as what the goalie market for a guy like myself is nothing really could work out,” he added.
Last season, the 28-year-old Johnson posted a record of 17-4-3, with a .925 save percentage and 2.10 goals-against average.
The Bruins also have 2012 first-round draft pick and goalie Malcolm Subban in their system. According to Capgeek.com, the first year of his entry-level contract kicks in this season.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)