Jun 23, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are going a different direction when it comes to a back-up goalie. The club announced it signed Niklas Svedberg to a one-year, one-way contract worth a cap hit of $600,000.
Svedberg, 24, made one appearance this past season for the Bruins, winning his only game, allowing two goals on 35 shots against the Nashville Predators.
“He’s a good competitor,” Bruins Head Coach Claude Julien said back on Jan. 2. “I think he’s improved over the course of the year with his experience. Earlier on, when I first saw him, when he first came, he had to make some adjustments to his game because of how they played in Europe versus here.”
“From there on in, I think he just kept getting better and better.”
This also appears to be the end of Chad Johnson‘s time with the Bruins. He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent, after making $600,000 – the same as his cap hit – this past season.
“It’s unfortunate for me because I loved everything about Boston and the Bruins,” Johnson told Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
“With how tight the cap is in Boston … as well as what the goalie market for a guy like myself is nothing really could work out,” he added.
Last season, the 28-year-old Johnson posted a record of 17-4-3, with a .925 save percentage and 2.10 goals-against average.
The Bruins also have 2012 first-round draft pick and goalie Malcolm Subban in their system. According to Capgeek.com, the first year of his entry-level contract kicks in this season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)