Jun 23, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The NHL Awards take place tomorrow in Las Vegas, so it’s no surprise that the topic of expansion to Sin City is being brought up, especially after ground was broken on the construction of a new 20,000-seat arena just last month.
According to commissioner Gary Bettman, however, the NHL isn’t looking to expand “right now.”
“I know Las Vegas is an important city,” Bettman told the Review-Journal. “Whether or not it’s a city for the NHL to put a team in is still to be determined. We have not done any investigating as to whether or not the city could support the NHL or looked at potential ownership groups. If the owners were to approve expansion, we would certainly begin looking more closely at Las Vegas and other potential markets.”
Bettman added that “having a building doesn’t assure you of a team, though not having a building assures you that you won’t have a team.” (See: Seattle.)
We wrote in December about the potential for the NHL to expand to Vegas. Back in 2009, Bettman said that “some league will be there” eventually, but not until there was a suitable arena.
Expanding to Las Vegas and Seattle would also bring the Western Conference up to 16 teams, the same as the current Eastern Conference, while allowing clubs like Detroit and Columbus to remain in the East.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)