Jun 23, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The NHL Awards take place tomorrow in Las Vegas, so it’s no surprise that the topic of expansion to Sin City is being brought up, especially after ground was broken on the construction of a new 20,000-seat arena just last month.
According to commissioner Gary Bettman, however, the NHL isn’t looking to expand “right now.”
“I know Las Vegas is an important city,” Bettman told the Review-Journal. “Whether or not it’s a city for the NHL to put a team in is still to be determined. We have not done any investigating as to whether or not the city could support the NHL or looked at potential ownership groups. If the owners were to approve expansion, we would certainly begin looking more closely at Las Vegas and other potential markets.”
Bettman added that “having a building doesn’t assure you of a team, though not having a building assures you that you won’t have a team.” (See: Seattle.)
We wrote in December about the potential for the NHL to expand to Vegas. Back in 2009, Bettman said that “some league will be there” eventually, but not until there was a suitable arena.
Expanding to Las Vegas and Seattle would also bring the Western Conference up to 16 teams, the same as the current Eastern Conference, while allowing clubs like Detroit and Columbus to remain in the East.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)