Jun 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EST
Daniel Alfredsson wants at least one more crack at winning the Stanley Cup.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports Alfredsson has told the Detroit Red Wings he wants to play one more season. The two sides will reconvene this week to discuss a new contract.
Alfredsson, 41, joined the Red Wings last summer on a one-year contract after he and the Ottawa Senators came to an impasse on a new contract. In 68 games, he had 18 goals and 49 points to tie for the team lead in points with defenseman Niklas Kronwall.
While the Wings were crushed by injuries last season, Alfredsson was steady in production and provided leadership while Zetterberg dealt with a back injury that kept him out of action for the bulk of the second half. Moving to Detroit turned out to be the right move for Alfie as the Senators failed to make the playoffs.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)