Jun 22, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
For some time, it seemed like the Minnesota Wild went as far as Ryan Suter, Zach Parise and Mikko Koivu would take them. As important as that trio remains, it’s clear that the team is developing a young supporting cast that could change a top-heavy club to a deep, scary group.
(Just ask the Chicago Blackhawks, who seemed relieved to escape their second-round series in six games.)
The team’s promising group of prospects/improving young players isn’t lost on Wild owner Craig Leipold, who praised GM Chuck Fletcher’s team-building skills to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
“I mean, what good are bringing two players like that in if you can’t surround them with good guys?” Leipold said. “When I think of all the contributions Chuck has made to this organization, the biggest is the way he has drafted and developed. That enables us to do everything else that we do.”
” … I like his style.”
Twenty-two-year-old forward Mikael Granlund is the most obvious example of Minnesota’s youth movement, yet he’s far from alone. Charlie Coyle (22), Jonas Brodin (20), Jared Spurgeon (24) and Nino Niederreiter (21) are just some of the players who can be key pieces, especially as they get closer to their prime years.
It’s a pretty foreboding proposition for a Central Division teeming with franchises that look like they’re only going to get better.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)