Jun 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Even as the speculation surrounding Joe Thornton‘s future with the San Jose Sharks rapidly mounts, the 34-year-old forward seems all-but cemented in his desire to stay where he is. That’s vital to keep in mind, given that he has a no-movement clause.
Thornton’s agent and brother, John Thornton, called the Sharks the only team on Joe’s list, per TVA Sports.
John Thornton reiterated though that his brother might change his mind if it got to the point where he felt like the Sharks’ fanbase no longer wanted him.
The fact that Thornton would be resistant to a trade isn’t surprising after he gave the Sharks a bit of a hometown discount when he signed a three-year, $20.25 million contract. Now it looks like the Sharks are interested in moving him before his new contract even starts.
“It wasn’t like we were waiting for free agency or waiting for more money,” John Thornton said when Joe signed that deal, per CBC. “Joe loves playing there. He could never really see himself going someplace else.”
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)