Jun 22, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
All the same, the Kings are at least giving it a shot by offering him a three-year, $15 million contract, according to the Toronto Sun. Gaborik, 32, is coming off of a five-year, $37.5 million deal.
Assuming the report is true, it would both represent a significant pay cut for Gaborik and also less than he’d likely get on the open market. Gaborik’s lengthy injury history is a source of concern that might hurt his bottom line, but he would still be one of the best free agents available and is coming off of a great playoff run.
At the same time, he just won the Stanley Cup with the Kings and they’re likely to stay competitive for years to come, so maybe he will be willing to take less to stay in that situation.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)