Jun 22, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
All the same, the Kings are at least giving it a shot by offering him a three-year, $15 million contract, according to the Toronto Sun. Gaborik, 32, is coming off of a five-year, $37.5 million deal.
Assuming the report is true, it would both represent a significant pay cut for Gaborik and also less than he’d likely get on the open market. Gaborik’s lengthy injury history is a source of concern that might hurt his bottom line, but he would still be one of the best free agents available and is coming off of a great playoff run.
At the same time, he just won the Stanley Cup with the Kings and they’re likely to stay competitive for years to come, so maybe he will be willing to take less to stay in that situation.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)