Jun 22, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
On Monday, the 18 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee will vote on who should be inducted and for the first time, former Dallas Stars captain Mike Modano is eligible to get in.
“It’s the last (honor), and it’s the biggest,” Modano told the Dallas Morning News. “Yeah, it’s a little nerve-wracking.”
Along with Dominik Hasek and Peter Forsberg, Modano is a favorite to garner the 14 votes (75%) necessary to be part of the 2014 class, but the way he sees it, nothing is certain until the votes have been tallied. As he put it, once he got to the NHL, making the Hall of Fame shifted from being a boyhood dream to something that seemed too big to fully grasp.
“I think winning a Cup is different because it’s such a team thing, and winning an individual award is great, but it’s for one season,” Modano said. “This is for your entire career, so it’s a lot to think about.”
When he retired, he was closing the book on a 1,499-game career that was highlighted by his Stanley Cup championship with the Dallas Stars in 1999. Modano only made the top-10 in the scoring race in three seasons and never did better than eighth place, but he was a consistent contributor and ranks 23rd on the all-time points list with 1,374 as a result.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)