Jun 22, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
On Monday, the 18 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee will vote on who should be inducted and for the first time, former Dallas Stars captain Mike Modano is eligible to get in.
“It’s the last (honor), and it’s the biggest,” Modano told the Dallas Morning News. “Yeah, it’s a little nerve-wracking.”
Along with Dominik Hasek and Peter Forsberg, Modano is a favorite to garner the 14 votes (75%) necessary to be part of the 2014 class, but the way he sees it, nothing is certain until the votes have been tallied. As he put it, once he got to the NHL, making the Hall of Fame shifted from being a boyhood dream to something that seemed too big to fully grasp.
“I think winning a Cup is different because it’s such a team thing, and winning an individual award is great, but it’s for one season,” Modano said. “This is for your entire career, so it’s a lot to think about.”
When he retired, he was closing the book on a 1,499-game career that was highlighted by his Stanley Cup championship with the Dallas Stars in 1999. Modano only made the top-10 in the scoring race in three seasons and never did better than eighth place, but he was a consistent contributor and ranks 23rd on the all-time points list with 1,374 as a result.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 4
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 115
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)