Jun 22, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
On Monday, the 18 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee will vote on who should be inducted and for the first time, former Dallas Stars captain Mike Modano is eligible to get in.
“It’s the last (honor), and it’s the biggest,” Modano told the Dallas Morning News. “Yeah, it’s a little nerve-wracking.”
Along with Dominik Hasek and Peter Forsberg, Modano is a favorite to garner the 14 votes (75%) necessary to be part of the 2014 class, but the way he sees it, nothing is certain until the votes have been tallied. As he put it, once he got to the NHL, making the Hall of Fame shifted from being a boyhood dream to something that seemed too big to fully grasp.
“I think winning a Cup is different because it’s such a team thing, and winning an individual award is great, but it’s for one season,” Modano said. “This is for your entire career, so it’s a lot to think about.”
When he retired, he was closing the book on a 1,499-game career that was highlighted by his Stanley Cup championship with the Dallas Stars in 1999. Modano only made the top-10 in the scoring race in three seasons and never did better than eighth place, but he was a consistent contributor and ranks 23rd on the all-time points list with 1,374 as a result.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (166)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)