Jun 22, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
On Monday, the 18 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee will vote on who should be inducted and for the first time, former Dallas Stars captain Mike Modano is eligible to get in.
“It’s the last (honor), and it’s the biggest,” Modano told the Dallas Morning News. “Yeah, it’s a little nerve-wracking.”
Along with Dominik Hasek and Peter Forsberg, Modano is a favorite to garner the 14 votes (75%) necessary to be part of the 2014 class, but the way he sees it, nothing is certain until the votes have been tallied. As he put it, once he got to the NHL, making the Hall of Fame shifted from being a boyhood dream to something that seemed too big to fully grasp.
“I think winning a Cup is different because it’s such a team thing, and winning an individual award is great, but it’s for one season,” Modano said. “This is for your entire career, so it’s a lot to think about.”
When he retired, he was closing the book on a 1,499-game career that was highlighted by his Stanley Cup championship with the Dallas Stars in 1999. Modano only made the top-10 in the scoring race in three seasons and never did better than eighth place, but he was a consistent contributor and ranks 23rd on the all-time points list with 1,374 as a result.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)