Jun 22, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
On Monday, the 18 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee will vote on who should be inducted and for the first time, former Dallas Stars captain Mike Modano is eligible to get in.
“It’s the last (honor), and it’s the biggest,” Modano told the Dallas Morning News. “Yeah, it’s a little nerve-wracking.”
Along with Dominik Hasek and Peter Forsberg, Modano is a favorite to garner the 14 votes (75%) necessary to be part of the 2014 class, but the way he sees it, nothing is certain until the votes have been tallied. As he put it, once he got to the NHL, making the Hall of Fame shifted from being a boyhood dream to something that seemed too big to fully grasp.
“I think winning a Cup is different because it’s such a team thing, and winning an individual award is great, but it’s for one season,” Modano said. “This is for your entire career, so it’s a lot to think about.”
When he retired, he was closing the book on a 1,499-game career that was highlighted by his Stanley Cup championship with the Dallas Stars in 1999. Modano only made the top-10 in the scoring race in three seasons and never did better than eighth place, but he was a consistent contributor and ranks 23rd on the all-time points list with 1,374 as a result.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 0
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)