Jun 22, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
At best, you could grade Nathan Horton‘s injury-ravaged first season with the Columbus Blue Jackets as “incomplete.” There’s some question about his chances of entering 2014-15 at 100 percent, yet the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline provided an optimistic update in that regard on Sunday.
Portzline believes that Horton could very well enter training camp at full strength:
Here’s one thing that should be clear: the Blue Jackets shouldn’t rush the 29-year-old back before he’s ready.
That sounds simple, yet it would be understandable if Columbus is getting antsy to get more value out of the power forward. He underwent offseason shoulder surgery in 2013 that delayed his Blue Jackets debut until Jan. 2 and then required abdominal surgery that kept him from aiding the franchise in a rare postseason appearance.
As disappointing as his 19 points in 36 games might look, It almost seems like an accomplishment that he played that many games in the first place.
Horton is about to enter the second season of a seven-year, $37.1 million deal that carries a $5.3 million cap hit.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)