Jun 22, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
At best, you could grade Nathan Horton‘s injury-ravaged first season with the Columbus Blue Jackets as “incomplete.” There’s some question about his chances of entering 2014-15 at 100 percent, yet the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline provided an optimistic update in that regard on Sunday.
Portzline believes that Horton could very well enter training camp at full strength:
Here’s one thing that should be clear: the Blue Jackets shouldn’t rush the 29-year-old back before he’s ready.
That sounds simple, yet it would be understandable if Columbus is getting antsy to get more value out of the power forward. He underwent offseason shoulder surgery in 2013 that delayed his Blue Jackets debut until Jan. 2 and then required abdominal surgery that kept him from aiding the franchise in a rare postseason appearance.
As disappointing as his 19 points in 36 games might look, It almost seems like an accomplishment that he played that many games in the first place.
Horton is about to enter the second season of a seven-year, $37.1 million deal that carries a $5.3 million cap hit.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)