Jun 22, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
At best, you could grade Nathan Horton‘s injury-ravaged first season with the Columbus Blue Jackets as “incomplete.” There’s some question about his chances of entering 2014-15 at 100 percent, yet the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline provided an optimistic update in that regard on Sunday.
Portzline believes that Horton could very well enter training camp at full strength:
Here’s one thing that should be clear: the Blue Jackets shouldn’t rush the 29-year-old back before he’s ready.
That sounds simple, yet it would be understandable if Columbus is getting antsy to get more value out of the power forward. He underwent offseason shoulder surgery in 2013 that delayed his Blue Jackets debut until Jan. 2 and then required abdominal surgery that kept him from aiding the franchise in a rare postseason appearance.
As disappointing as his 19 points in 36 games might look, It almost seems like an accomplishment that he played that many games in the first place.
Horton is about to enter the second season of a seven-year, $37.1 million deal that carries a $5.3 million cap hit.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)