Jun 22, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
There’s some debate about the quality of the 2014 NHL Draft, but that doesn’t mean that the process needs to be boring. In fact, the uncertainty surrounding prospects might just be the catalyst for some interesting moves and strange propositions.
As much as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ brass tried to spin their “make the best of it” strategy, they also illustrated how unstable things could be to the Columbus Dispatch.
” … I think this is going to be a wild draft, just because there’s so much disagreement on certain players,” Blue Jackets scouting director Paul Castron said. “So there are going to be a lot of guys who go earlier than most teams expected, and then some guys who are still on the board a lot longer than anybody ever imagined.”
If patterns hold, expect more stories about teams looking to move up or down in the first round as the Philadelphia draft approaches.
New York Islanders GM Garth Snow added his team’s name to the group, although it sounds like he’s specifically seeking a piece for the present at the future’s expense.
“We’re open to trading the pick for someone we think can come in and help us right away,” Snow said, according to New York Newsday.
While the Islanders want to trade out of the draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs look to move up from No. 8 and the Montreal Canadiens hope to improve upon their 26th pick. The Phoenix Coyotes could go either way from 12 while the Florida Panthers may very well drop down twice.
It could make for some great fodder, however people feel about the overall talent level.
Also: feel bad for anyone hoping to put together an accurate mock draft.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)