Jun 22, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
There’s some debate about the quality of the 2014 NHL Draft, but that doesn’t mean that the process needs to be boring. In fact, the uncertainty surrounding prospects might just be the catalyst for some interesting moves and strange propositions.
As much as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ brass tried to spin their “make the best of it” strategy, they also illustrated how unstable things could be to the Columbus Dispatch.
” … I think this is going to be a wild draft, just because there’s so much disagreement on certain players,” Blue Jackets scouting director Paul Castron said. “So there are going to be a lot of guys who go earlier than most teams expected, and then some guys who are still on the board a lot longer than anybody ever imagined.”
If patterns hold, expect more stories about teams looking to move up or down in the first round as the Philadelphia draft approaches.
New York Islanders GM Garth Snow added his team’s name to the group, although it sounds like he’s specifically seeking a piece for the present at the future’s expense.
“We’re open to trading the pick for someone we think can come in and help us right away,” Snow said, according to New York Newsday.
While the Islanders want to trade out of the draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs look to move up from No. 8 and the Montreal Canadiens hope to improve upon their 26th pick. The Phoenix Coyotes could go either way from 12 while the Florida Panthers may very well drop down twice.
It could make for some great fodder, however people feel about the overall talent level.
Also: feel bad for anyone hoping to put together an accurate mock draft.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)