Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The 2014-15 NHL schedule is out and one of the obvious highlights will be the 2015 Winter Classic.
We already knew that the Washington Capitals were going to host the event, but the NHL has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will be their opponents. The game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Thursday Jan. 1.
Unlike previous Winter Classics, next year’s game will pit two teams from separate conferences against each other. It’s also the first Classic that will feature a pair of squads that have previously participated in the annual event.
Although this is the Capitals’ first time hosting an outdoor game, they beat Pittsburgh in the 2011 Winter Classic. Meanwhile, Chicago hosted the 2009 Winter Classic and took part in the 2014 Stadium Series. The Blackhawks lost 6-4 to Detroit in the Classic, but they beat the Penguins 5-1 in their last outdoor game.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)