Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The 2014-15 NHL schedule is out and one of the obvious highlights will be the 2015 Winter Classic.
We already knew that the Washington Capitals were going to host the event, but the NHL has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will be their opponents. The game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Thursday Jan. 1.
Unlike previous Winter Classics, next year’s game will pit two teams from separate conferences against each other. It’s also the first Classic that will feature a pair of squads that have previously participated in the annual event.
Although this is the Capitals’ first time hosting an outdoor game, they beat Pittsburgh in the 2011 Winter Classic. Meanwhile, Chicago hosted the 2009 Winter Classic and took part in the 2014 Stadium Series. The Blackhawks lost 6-4 to Detroit in the Classic, but they beat the Penguins 5-1 in their last outdoor game.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 35
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 14
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)