Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The 2014-15 NHL schedule is out and one of the obvious highlights will be the 2015 Winter Classic.
We already knew that the Washington Capitals were going to host the event, but the NHL has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will be their opponents. The game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Thursday Jan. 1.
Unlike previous Winter Classics, next year’s game will pit two teams from separate conferences against each other. It’s also the first Classic that will feature a pair of squads that have previously participated in the annual event.
Although this is the Capitals’ first time hosting an outdoor game, they beat Pittsburgh in the 2011 Winter Classic. Meanwhile, Chicago hosted the 2009 Winter Classic and took part in the 2014 Stadium Series. The Blackhawks lost 6-4 to Detroit in the Classic, but they beat the Penguins 5-1 in their last outdoor game.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8