Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The 2014-15 NHL schedule is out and one of the obvious highlights will be the 2015 Winter Classic.
We already knew that the Washington Capitals were going to host the event, but the NHL has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will be their opponents. The game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Thursday Jan. 1.
Unlike previous Winter Classics, next year’s game will pit two teams from separate conferences against each other. It’s also the first Classic that will feature a pair of squads that have previously participated in the annual event.
Although this is the Capitals’ first time hosting an outdoor game, they beat Pittsburgh in the 2011 Winter Classic. Meanwhile, Chicago hosted the 2009 Winter Classic and took part in the 2014 Stadium Series. The Blackhawks lost 6-4 to Detroit in the Classic, but they beat the Penguins 5-1 in their last outdoor game.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18