Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The 2014-15 NHL schedule is out and one of the obvious highlights will be the 2015 Winter Classic.
We already knew that the Washington Capitals were going to host the event, but the NHL has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will be their opponents. The game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Thursday Jan. 1.
Unlike previous Winter Classics, next year’s game will pit two teams from separate conferences against each other. It’s also the first Classic that will feature a pair of squads that have previously participated in the annual event.
Although this is the Capitals’ first time hosting an outdoor game, they beat Pittsburgh in the 2011 Winter Classic. Meanwhile, Chicago hosted the 2009 Winter Classic and took part in the 2014 Stadium Series. The Blackhawks lost 6-4 to Detroit in the Classic, but they beat the Penguins 5-1 in their last outdoor game.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)