Jun 22, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins fired Dan Bylsma it sent a wave through the coaching market, but as the waters calm it looks like every team that had a vacancy will pass on the former Stanley Cup and Jack Adams winner.
The Carolina Hurricanes ultimately hired former Detroit Red Wings assistant coach Bill Peters while the Florida Panthers have announced that Montreal Canadiens assistant coach Gerard Gallant will serve as their next bench boss. That just leaves the Vancouver Canucks, who seems likely to hire Willie Desjardins after he reportedly turned down Bylsma’s old job.
So unless a new vacancy presents itself — and at this point that’s very unlikely — it looks like Bylsma will probably be unemployed going into the 2014-15 campaign. That’s not a horrible scenario for him though and he’ll be a top candidate to serve as a in-season replacement for any squad that fires their coach at that point. That’s how he got his big break in the first place and it was as an in-season replacement that he won the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2009.
When he does eventually find a new employer, he will bring 400 games worth of NHL head coaching experience to the table. Among bench bosses that have overseen at least that many games, he ranks first all-time with a .670 points percentage in the regular season.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)